➽Chapter 4

5 Months Ago

52 Days Before 1st Zombie Case

"Reports suggest that there is a flu-like virus going around. According to West Point Los Sientos Medical Laboratory, symptoms of this novel flu virus include rash, sneezing, dry cough and disorientation. In extreme cases, the symptoms can include vomiting, rapid dehydration and even death. However, on the bright side, Los Sientos Medical Laboratory wishes to advise the public that this is not a cause for panic as this virus has a 95% recovery rate. The public is also urged to practice proper hygiene and to avoid touching their faces. If you are feeling unwell, please remain at home."

The news report played in the background, Alexander barely hearing it, too occupied with making breakfast for his girlfriend and him.

The soothing sizzle of the bacon in the frying pan was like music to the ears, almost calming. The aroma was heavy in the air, intoxicating to that of anyone hungry. Every intricate fiber within the bacon slowly cooking, soon allowed to vanquish the hunger of the joyous couple.

Her arms wrapped slowly around his waist, her lips pressed softly against the tender skin of his neck. Her golden fox hair, glimmering in the beauty of the morning's rays, far exceeded her shoulders, her delicate skin far smoother than the finest silk. 

He turned his head slightly, his gaze falling deep into her ocean eyes, the world becoming a distant memory. She was gorgeous, the most attractive woman he had ever seen and her soul illuminated the world, replacing the sun itself.

He knew he had found true love, the perfect one for him.

Nothing could ever tear them apart...

"Baby I think I'm..."

Present

The darkness that consumed his consciousness slowly faded as light seeped in through the partial opening of his eyes. From behind his blurred vision, he could make out two shadowy figures, their stance strong and disciplined, one equipped with some sort of gun.

A shotgun?

He could feel an intense throbbing in his head but his attempt to comfort it with his touch was negated by a serpent's constriction about his body.

Why can't I move?

"Looks like he's waking up Cap." a deep voice went forth, lashing bitterly against Alexander's ears.

Survivors?? This isn't good!

WAKE UP DAMMIT! 

DO IT NOW ALEX!

"He better come to quickly." an even deeper voice emerged, its depths like the ocean. It was laced with a fierce dominance, instilling into Alexander a feeling that he experienced once before...only from the voice of his father.

"We should kill him. Look at the blood on his hand."

"We still don't know if it's Liv's blood. To kill him without confirmation would be irrational Henderson."

"I guess you're right Cap but once we confirm it, I want the kill."

"You mean if we confirm it. Now, wake him up already, but be gentle."

His stomach sank in at the devastating blow, shockwaves permeating throughout his entire body in an instant. From his mouth, blood spouted and his once weighted eyelids flew open without a second to spare. Even after the fist had moved, the feeling persisted, lingering at the site of impact and a few surrounding areas.