➽Chapter 5

He now stood before her.

She laid on the floor in a small tent-like structure which was constructed in a storehouse a small distance from the one Alexander had been held captive in. Her leg was slightly elevated about 8 inches from the floor, a technique used to prevent or treat shock.

Her eyes cracked open, widening at the sight of his body towering over her.

Her lips parted, causing him to believe she was ready to release a high-pitched scream but before she could, Alex outstretched his hands, his index fingers shouting "Wait!".

"Before you call out just listen. I'm really sorry for shooting you but-"

She interrupted, her voice tired, "Don't...mention it. You s-saved my l-l-life. Let's call it e-even."

Her words were shocking, causing Alex to raise his eyebrows. Yes, he had indeed saved her life but in the apocalypse could someone be so forgiving? Especially when their ability to survive itself was compromised?

"So," Alex started, speaking slowly with disbelief in his voice, "you're just gonna forgive me and not tell that scary dude that I shot you?"

A tiny smile played on her pale-pink lips and she shook her head.

"We'll see. Y-You better stay on my g-good s-side. "

Alexander scratched the back of his head, a large smile stretching from ear to ear took control of his face. For a moment, he seemed relieved but afterward, a sudden wave of seriousness came over him.

"In the bag, you stole, there was a knife. Where is it?"

She noticed the change in his tone, the light-hearted atmosphere quickly shifting.

"A k-knife?"

"Yes a knife. It had initials engraved into it. Where is it?"

"I remember t-that. I-I put it in the w-weapon's pile."

"Where is it?"

➽~

His eyes scanned the little room in a storehouse where the weapon's pile was, searching carefully for the blade that meant the most to him. 

Where is it? 

Knives, military issued, guns, metal baseball bats. He could see everything else that proved no relevance to his quest, and even though common sense would urge him to equip himself with some of these weapons that would aid in survival more effectively, he was extremely sentimental, driven by a love and pain that would never dissipate.

Where the hell is it??

"Why are you in here Kane?"

Alex stopped dead in his tracks.

He slowly turned around, a smile glued to his lips.

A cloak of tension covered the room instantly. Both of their eyes met, refusing once again to look away.

"I was checking around the camp ya know. Noticed a bunch of weapons in here and it piqued my interest. Gotta be familiar with the zombie crushing tools don't ya think?"

"Is that so?" Cap queried, his hands crossed in front of his chest.

He raised himself from leaning on the door frame and walked closer, the heavy boots on his feet crashing against the concrete floor.