➽Chapter 10

The morning was beautiful. Nature proved to be undisturbed despite the state of the human world.

It was calming and yet controlled a fierce revelation.

The world never revolved around humans...it never needed us.

Alexander's eyes were concentrated on the office above him. Everyone had already left the storehouse to do their individual tasks. He was assigned the task of counting the amount of ammunition they had and recording it in the logbook that was once used to keep track of the storehouse's storage. Alex completed his task in under the intended two hours and was on his way to find Elaina when he overheard Cap's voice coming from Storehouse five.

Alex hid inside the storehouse, avoiding detection from both Cap and the woman who was with him.

Her melanin coated skin complimented her fluffy afro. She wore thin spectacles that only attracted more attention to her light brown irises. Her eyelashes were long and curved upwards effortlessly.

Around her neck was a golden crucifix, resting neatly against the yellow turtleneck she wore.

"The more we know about this, the better we can be equipped against it. Tell me you can see that!" She pleaded. Her voice was neither soft nor deep, but smack dap in between both extremes. It sported a great authority and yet offered a sincere friendliness.

"Amanda the risk sounds too great for a simple chance. You're asking me to deploy my men on the possibility that we might find something?" Cap's voice was softer than usual, holding a considerable level of restraint.

There was an audible sigh before she spoke. "Look, at this point, we're making no progress at all. We can't even hunt animals dammit! Why? Because we know absolutely nothing about this damn virus. We don't know what it can affect or how the hell it's even mutating! We finally found something solid and you're just gonna give up on it like that?!"

"Doc, listen. All I'm saying is that this is risky b-"

"S-"

"Wait just let me finish Amanda," Alex heard Cap mutter before the doctor could interject, "it's a huge risk but wasting this opportunity would be foolish."

"Thank you!"

"Now it's just a matter of deciding who goes."

Alex heard the door of the office opening, signaling the time for him to leave. He quickly snuck his way pass the roll-up door and started to walk away, refusing to look back as it may make him seem suspicious.

What was that about?

Could they...

His eyes came into contact with Elaina. She was seated down in front of Storehouse three, a book and pen in hand as she scribbled away.

"Elaina!" Alex called out as he approached, waving his hand.

She met his gaze and returned a wave, closing the book, and standing to her feet.

"Hey," she replied.

"What are you writing?" Alex queried, pointing to the red notebook that was drawn close to her hip.

Her face flushed an identical red as she shook her head furiously. "It's nothing lol!"

"Come on now, be honest. Someone writing a little diary or something?" He teased.

Elaina rolled her eyes and shoved Alexander back. "Of course not moron. Don't you have work to do?"

"Finished that already."