Chapter 8

--- Fox's POV ---

I was curious to see what had caused Raiden's mother such distress, but my human ears were not able to overhear their murmured conversation. I cast a quick spell to enhance my hearing, not even a blink showing that I had done anything.

The family was sitting at a table relatively close by. They had allowed Aither to join them, which made me happy to see that he was included in a clearly private discussion. Xander was looking at them, concerned.

I kept my sight trained on the wooden table, and listened.

"They said they kidnapped Kayla?"

"What do they want from us? Money?"

I inhaled sharply, but Xander didn't notice. I wanted to see if it was anything serious, and it looks like I was right to be worried.

Mrs. Graham managed to say through her sobs, "They claimed they were werewolves. They said they wanted us to know that we can either leave town or they are coming for us next." She pulled a tissue from her purse and blew her nose. "They said this is their territory now."

Raiden buried his face in his hands and Aither rubbed his back comfortingly. His parents dried each other's tears. "What should we do?" Aither asked.

"It's okay, babe. This has nothing to do with you. I don't want you to get caught up in our mess." Raiden laughed humorlessly.

Aither frowned, resolute. "I'm not going anywhere. You guys are family to me, so I want to help." Raiden smiled at him gratefully.

The parents looked at each other, "We've lived here since before Raiden was born." Mr. Graham sighed, "But it sounds like we'll need to give up our home." Aither gasped, and Raiden scrubbed away his tears.

I closed my eyes, ending the spell. I thought for a couple seconds, and made my decision. I stood up, pushing back my chair.

"I will help." Everyone turned to me, even the shop owner. I made eye contact with Mr. Graham. I know your secret. I will help you.

His jaw dropped, and he lifted a shaking finger. "W-was that you?" I nodded. My friends and Mrs. Graham looked back and forth between us, confused. Mr. Graham swallowed.

"It's too dangerous. I don't want you to risk yourself." He cast his gaze down at the tiled floor. I could see that it hurt him to say this, but I wasn't going to take no for an answer.

"I will not be in any danger. They cannot hurt me," I lied. In this body, they can. But I can change forms when needed.

Realization flashed in Raiden's eyes. He shouted, "No! You can't go. They're... Not the kind of person you can hope to defeat."

He refrained from saying werewolves.

I just shook my head at him, and walked to the restaurant's exit. Xander stood up hurriedly, knocking his chair over. "Where are you going?"

I didn't stop. I heard their footsteps as they chased after me. Breaking into a run, I sprinted through the mall with them on my tail. I have two choices. Either lose them, or let them come with me and learn the truth.

Shoppers gave us concerned looks as we passed by, moving out of the way with great fuss.

Racing out of the mall, I glanced around, looking for somewhere where there wasn't a lot of people. The parking lots were crammed either cars and people walking to their vehicles. The mall was going to close soon, everyone was entering the parking lot. I crept around the side of the building, slowly at first, then at a run again when Aither spotted me.