My Favorite Word

Harry

I sat on my bed for half an hour, staring at the wall and contemplating if I should go to this party. The thought of being surrounded by a bunch of sweaty drunk teenagers isn't all that appealing to me. I would text Niall and give him some sort of excuse as to why I can't go, but I'd feel bad going back on my word. Letting out an exasperated sigh and running a hand through my disheveled curls, I get up and try to find something to wear. 

Looking through my small closet, I realize that I don't have any "party wear" but I settle on a baggy black long sleeve, and one of my only pairs of nice black jeans. I cross my bedroom in 5 swift steps and make my way over to the bathroom

"This will have to do," I say as I look into the bathroom mirror

I stare at my reflection for a little too long, unsatisfied with what I see. Feeling frustrated, I run my hands through my fringe and shake it out until I feel pleased with how it looks.

I walk into the kitchen and grab a bag of crisps to snack on while I wait for Niall to come pick me up. Settling into my couch, I turn on the tv and wait. 

~~~

At some point, I must've fallen asleep because when I woke up the sun was gone. I roll over and grab my phone to check the time

8:50 pm

"Shit" Feeling frantic I jump up and throw on my shoes and jacket. I don't want Niall to have to wait for me to be fully ready because then he might want to come inside. 

It was 5 minutes past 9 when there was a knock on my door and sure enough, it was Niall. Grabbing my house key and my phone, I make my way out the door. 

"Ready to go?" he asked happily. 

"As ready as I'll ever be" I say through a chuckle. He steps back and allows me to shut and lock my door. I turn around and nervously shuffle over to his car, hearing his heavy footsteps behind me. Once we get into the car we sit there for a moment and I feel his gaze burning into the side of my face. I look at him and he's grinning from ear to ear.

"Why are you smiling?" I question

"Because I know this is something you'd never really do and I guess I'm just a little happy that you agreed to come out tonight," He says with a proud smile

"Don't get too excited yet, if I make us leave early you're gonna be wishing you never said that" I say as he starts to drive down the narrow street.

"Nah if you make us leave, I won't be mad at you. I'm not a huge fan of parties either but I just figured it'd be a good way for you to get out and socialize a bit" He says, his eyes never leaving the road.

"Well good luck with that, you're the only friend I have and I doubt that'll change at some stupid high school party" I state as I roll my eyes. I can't lie, it does feel kind of nice to have someone care enough to try and help me out a bit, but it's just something I'm not used to.

"And that my friend is the reason we are going to this party" He lets out a small laugh and I do the same. 

We ride in the car peacefully, surrounded by comfortable silence. Now and then Niall yells at other drivers, giving them the finger and yelling all sorts of profanities when they cut him off, and I can't help but laugh at the Irish lad. 

About 15 minutes later we arrive at a house. I look over to see people already stumbling around in the front yard, obviously intoxicated. The entire street is lined with parked cars and the yard is covered in plastic cups. I hear loud music coming from inside, Silhouettes cast through the window curtains.