Pure

Chapter 17

Harry

It's Tuesday night and I had promised Louis I would go to his house and help him study. I was trying on different shirts to see which one matched my baggy jeans, but none of them did seeing as the jeans have paint splattered on them. 

A faint knock on my bedroom door tore me away from my closet and caught my attention. 

"Hey I was wondering what you wanted for dinn-" My mum began as she entered my bedroom, but the words got caught in her throat when she saw me. 

"Are you going out?" I respond with a simple nod and shake out my curls, unsure of how they look because I still refuse to look in the mirror. 

"You didn't ask me if you could go out, Harry," I think it's funny how she gets to pick and choose which times she wants to be a good mother. She switches from throwing harsh words towards me every chance she gets, to being sweet and gentle. And she does so with ease. 

"I didn't think you'd be home" I don't even bother to look up, I just adjust my loosely threaded sweater on my small shoulders. 

"So you were just going to go out without even asking my permission?" The question was meant to be rhetorical, but that doesn't stop me from muttering out a "Yes" before brushing past her into the hallway that leads to the living room. 

"Harry Edward, this is not how I raised you" Her hands are placed firmly on her hips and she cocks a brow toward me, daring me to test her. 

"Mum I'm going to tutor someone, please don't make a big deal out of this" I plead as I tighten the duct-tape around my shoe, sliding them onto my feet once I'm done. 

"I'm your mother. I'm supposed to know where you are and where you are going to be at all times. I don't want anything bad happening to you." Once again, she switches back to that sweet tone which makes my blood chill in my veins. 

"Mum, you don't care. I know that and so do you. That's how we work. You pretend to be interested, and I just go along with everything. Why are you trying to change it?" I raise from the couch, but I'm stopped midway as my mum pushes me back down. 

"You will NOT speak to me that way! I know I can't be around often, but the times that I do try and make an effort, you just brush me off. How is this fair, Harry? You can't be mad at me for trying my hardest." Her voice slightly waivers, but she quickly recovers and returns to that stone-cold stature. She will never understand how hypocritical she sounds. When she tries her hardest but doesn't succeed, she deserves praise. When I try my hardest but don't succeed, I'm selfish and inconsiderate. 

"Until you realize the error in the statement you just made, we won't make any progress." I calmly state, but that just pisses her off even more. 

"You know what? Leave. I refuse to let you sit here and talk to me this way. I try my absolute hardest, and this is how you repay me? I don't even want to look at you right now." She gives me a look of disgust along with a scoff and walks away, leaving me on the couch in shock. 

I'm not going to stay anywhere I'm not welcomed. 

---

The walk to Louis's house was an unsettling one. As usual, rain was pouring down, making my hair stick to my face as I shiver consistently. 

I walk up the pathway, every step unnerving me more and more as I get closer to the door. I was so busy arguing with my mum, that I  forgot to grab my bag. I'm showing up to a study session without anything to study with.