Chapter Ten - Unwelcome Visitors and Disturbing Revelations

The guards were banging on the door when Selene reached the house. It opened just a tiny bit, and Mrs. Landon’s alarmed face poked out. 

“What’s going on?” She asked.

“Is Hector Stanley in?”

“He is.” Selene’s heart skipped a beat. “But he’s sleeping. I won’t wake him for you.”

“I’m afraid you have to let us in,” said a tall Vampire, who pushed his way past Selene and up the steps. He must have been waiting in the van. “I’m from Central Control. It’s imperative that you let us in.” He flashed some kind of badge at Mrs. Landon, who acknowledged it and opened the door, allowing him to pass inside. Before he entered, he whispered something to the guards who went back to the van.    

Selene recognised his face, but she wasn’t sure where from. It irked her. Her knees were weak as she toppled into the house behind him. 

“What’s the noise down there?” 

Selene looked up, to see Hector leaning over the banister, wearing a red silk dressing gown. She felt her stomach plummet to the floor, almost taking the rest of her body with it.  For a split second he met her gaze and looked away; it made her whole body flush with heat.

“These gentlemen have come from –," said Mrs Landon.

“Hector, I’ve brought –," interrupted the Vampire.

“Here? You’ve brought him here? In the middle of the night?” Hector began to hurry along the landing and down the stairs. Meanwhile, the two guards were dragging someone into the house.   Selene moved to the side of the vast hallway, pressing her back to the wall. Something was wrong; very wrong. She had never seen Hector react like that; he was always so cool and collected, as though nothing could disturb him.

“I can’t keep him secret at Central Control.  It’s too dangerous," said the Vampire.

“I can’t keep him here, in my home!” Hector was gesticulating wildly, his silk robe flapping open, revealing his muscled chest beneath. 

Selene looked over to where the two guards stood, propping up a figure that would have fallen without their support. He, she assumed it was a he because of his height and build, was wearing the black outfit worn by prisoners about to be bled, but it was ripped and dirty in places, as though he had been kicked about and rolled in dust. His head was covered with a black sack, and his hands were tied behind his back.

“Hector, I’ve done you a lot of favours over the years. I’ve kept your secrets and done your dirty work.  This is the first time I’ve asked you to do something for me, and even now it’s because I’m trying to do something for you.” The Vampire slid his hands into his pockets, affecting a relaxation which Selene could tell he didn’t really feel. I know who he is: Professor Andrews!  His face was on the side of the mobile blood donation units. 

Hector exhaled loudly; a human affectation.

“Fine. Take him to the study, down the hall on the left. And then I want your guards to get out, and move their van from outside my house.” The guards dragged the limp figure down the hall, and Professor Andrews followed behind.

Hector lingered, and looked at Selene.  They held one another’s gaze, and although no words were spoken, so much was said. 

Then Hector turned to focus on Selene, and she almost smiled in relief, her desire for his attention so nearly sated.

“Get out.”  The words were harsh, but the tone was kind.

“What?” She asked.

“You can’t be here now. You have to leave. I don’t care where you go, just get out.”