Chapter Eleven - Fear, Lust or Violence

Xander.

It really was him. Selene was shocked at his appearance. On his neck she could see the piercings from where the ill-fated Bleeder had taken a bite.It looked painful, bruised and the wound had crusted over. Without thinking she raised her hand and touched her own neck on the same spot. 

“Do you have somewhere you can lock him up, keep him safe? I will come and carry out the tests here, in the house.” Professor Andrews spoke with urgency, and his hands trembled as he held them out to Hector.

“Come in daylight. I don’t care how you get here; just don’t turn up in the middle of the night again.  It’s suspicious.There are too many people wandering about, especially in the run-up to the ceremonial.”

Professor Andrews agreed, and apologised for his midnight visit, promising that it wouldn’t happen again. 

Together they hauled Xander out of the study, his unconscious feet dragging on the floor and pulling the rug into a heap. Selene guessed they were probably taking him to the basement. There was a section down there that no one ever entered: it was forbidden. There were codes on a steel door at the end of a corridor, and Selene had never seen anyone go in or out. Knowing Hector, he probably had cells deep beneath the house, in preparation for just this sort of event.

Selene stood up and stretched her legs. She wanted a cigarette, feeling the need for something chemical to calm her down. But no one smoked cigarettes anymore, only Vampires.  Human health was of paramount importance and a smoker’s blood did not taste good. 

Instead, she began to pace the garden, thinking. 

Xander was in the house. The handsome stranger she had met in the park, who had an infectious smile and natural charm: a man who had taken her in his arms and kissed her. No one had ever done that before, not even Hector. She had never thought she would see him again, let alone in her own house. 

And now Xander had killed a Bleeder. He had blood that was poisonous to Vampires, and for some reason Hector didn’t want the authorities to know about it.

“You were listening.”

Selene jumped, shocked by Hector’s sudden appearance. He stepped closer to her, and she could feel the heat of his body from where she stood. 

“I told you to get out and you listened at the window.”

Selene knew she had opposed Hector's order, and she feared his wrath as she looked up at him.  She was not used to disregarding his instructions.

“I was outside the house,” she stated, knowing it wasn't enough.

“Semantics, Selene. You disobeyed me.” He clenched his jaw and Selene felt her body react to his proximity once more, as she teetered between fear and desire.

“I’m sorry,” she muttered.

“It can’t go on, Selene.”

He moved towards her so fast that she wasn’t remotely prepared for it. He grabbed her round the waist and pushed her to the ground, pinning her between his legs. She tried to call out, but he covered her mouth and nose with his hand. Her thoughts were racing at high speed; they barely even made sense to her. She struggled, trying to shake her head and kick her legs, but she was tiny and weak in comparison to him. She grew faint as his hand prevented her breathing.

I’m going to die. He’s going to kill me.

She felt his free hand caress the bare skin of her leg, and stop when it reached the edge of her denim shorts. The gentleness of the movement confused her, and she lay still, holding her breath, part of her willing him to continue. He was violent, but soft at the same time, as though he didn’t know what he wanted from her. He took his hand from her mouth, but she made no sound.