Chapter Thirteen - Blood in Callisto

Selene’s thighs were burning by the time she had run from the basement up the stairs to Callisto on the third floor of the house. Hector was already there, but he hadn’t gone into the bedroom; he was leaning into the room, hanging onto the doorframe to prevent him falling over the threshold. 

Selene could hear Mrs. Landon whimpering, which was a relief compared to the screaming. The old woman stood in the corner of the bedroom, pressed against the wall. Two other male Varks stood on either side of her, also with their backs flat to the wall. They looked as though they were preparing to face a firing squad. 

Xander stood at the foot of the four-poster bed holding a knife to the inside of his arm, pressing it through the skin. Blood ran from the cut, covering his hand. It had sprayed all over the cream carpets and sheets. He shifted the knife down to his wrist, pressing it against the tattoo that marked his skin. At his feet were frayed bits of rope: his restraints which he had somehow sawn through.

“I don’t want to live like this,” he said, his voice full of tremors. The knife shook in his hand.

“Do something Hector!” Mrs. Landon’s eyes were wide with fear, as Xander moved towards where she stood, his blood dripping to the floor as he walked.

“I’ll cut this out, this evil mark. Slice it off. Then what will you do?” He tipped the knife so that the point dented the thin skin of his inner wrist, and looked at Hector. “Do you want my blood? Do you want it?” He turned towards Hector and walked towards him. Hector jumped back, stumbling into Selene, who was standing behind him, peering into the room. 

Hector grabbed her and dragged her round in front of him, so she stood between him and Xander: a human shield.

“Do something Selene,” he whispered. He gripped her shoulders, manoeuvring her into the room.

“Why me?”

“Because you’re the only one the blood won’t affect. Please, do something.” His pathetic entreaty was unexpected, but the urgency of the moment prevented her from reflecting on it. He let go of her, and nudged her forward.

Xander stopped and looked at Selene as she stood before him. She had seen her fair share of flesh wounds, and she knew enough to know that this one wasn’t fatal. As long as she could get him to stop now, he would be alright; but he had made one hell of a mess. She held out her hand.

“Xander, give me the knife.” She held his gaze and saw the desperation in his eyes. This wasn’t about making a scene for him; this was about escape. 

“What do you want with me?” Xander looked at Hector as he spoke, but Hector had no answer, paralysed by the threat the boy's blood posed to him. 

“Give me the knife.” Selene moved closer to him, step by step. Soon she was so close that she reached out and touched him. She felt his body relax at her touch and he dropped the knife. But almost instantly he began to tremble, collapsing to the floor. 

Selene crouched down next to him and put her arms around him. She felt his skin beneath her hands; it was rippled, crusted, and as she looked at it she could see that he had been cut everywhere, neatly, purposefully and scientifically.

“I need out. I don’t know what he’s going to do with me.” Tears rolled from Xander’s eyes and down his cheeks, where Selene felt them hit the bare skin of her shoulder.

“It’s ok. It’ll be ok.” She held his head against her chest and stroked his filthy hair, feeling it cling to her fingers.

“They haven’t fed me. I need water.” He stuttered. Selene ordered Mrs. Landon to fetch water, disinfectant and bandages. She held the glass to his mouth, allowing him to gulp it down, and she bandaged his arm to stop the bleeding. The wound was only superficial, and she wasn’t worried about it.