Chapter Twenty - Central Control

Selene forced her feet to dance, whilst allowing her mind to wander. She knew she didn’t have much time, but she had to formulate some kind of plan. The problem was that she didn’t even know what her options were; she had lived in the theatre with the other dancers since she had left the educational institute, and following that with Hector for just over a year.

She didn’t know how she might be able to live outside of Vampire society, or if it was even possible. But Xander had done it. She decided right then and there, as she pirouetted in the middle of the stage, that she had to take him with her. When she went back to Cadogan Place that evening to get her dress and prepare for the ceremonial she would sneak into his room, free him, and from there they would escape.

It seemed simple, and as far as she concerned it was her one opportunity to run. Neither Diana nor Hector would be expecting it, and she had no intention of being around when Hector decided he would rather be 'all powerful' than keep her alive.

But in what way would he be all powerful? She supposed he would be able to walk in sunlight, eat human food, reproduce, and experience emotion like a human. And he wouldn’t be susceptible to those peculiarly Vampyric weaknesses, like a stake to the heart, yet his body would still heal the way a Vampire’s did. There would be no chinks in his armour: he would be completely invincible.

She didn’t want to think what he might do with such power, or whom he might wield it against. She shuddered, but even as she did so there was a deep sensation of disappointment, and sadness.  She thought of Hector in his linen suits, his pressed white shirts, and his silk robe. She thought of him smiling at her as he smoked a cigar, or leant back in his chair, one elbow propped on the back of it making him seem wider, more substantial.

*

That afternoon the girls were dismissed early because Diana realised they were exhausted, and by this point there was only a matter of hours before the ceremonial dance. The girls who hadn’t yet been taken in by their owners returned to the dormitory in the theatre, and the rest, Selene amongst them, returned to their owner’s homes.

Two large Varks escorted Selene back to Cadogan Place, carrying her as they sped through the streets, pressing her limbs together, making her nothing more than a tight package. Diana ordered them to ensure Selene got home safely: if something happened to her the ceremony would be a disappointment, and Diana would be held responsible. Selene was billed as the lead and the Vampires would demand her presence, and Diana was going to make damn sure it happened that way because her reputation as dance coach at Stanley Hall, her entire career, depended upon it.

Selene wanted to carry out her plan to release Xander immediately, but as soon as she walked through the door exhaustion hit her like a punch from an unseen assailant. She decided, instead of going to Xander at once, to lie down and rest, just for a short while.

*

When she finally opened her eyes her room was dim, despite the fact that she hadn’t drawn the curtains. It was nearly sunset and, blinking rapidly, potent panic began to flood through her veins like a drug. She jumped out of bed and ran up the stairs, watching her feet so she didn’t trip, one after the other in a reliable rhythm until she ran straight into Hector.

He appeared from nowhere, and clasped her in his arms as she ran right into their burning grasp.

“What’s the hurry Selene?”

She flicked her head, thrusting her hair from her face, and looked up at him.

“Where are you going?” He asked. “You should be dressed already. We don’t have long.”

Selene said nothing, but Hector’s eyes narrowed as he looked at her, and his grip tightened.

“What is it?”