♛ Chapter Ten ♛

Cooper looked at the bulletin board. A paper tacked to the board, said the team was looking for some new teammates for lacrosse practice.

Kwan walked up beside his friend and smiled, patting his shoulder. "Does Cooper want to try out for lacrosse? I heard one of their teammates moved or is either recovering from an injury. Some kid was asking another kid about him I think while I was coming from the bathroom, which I think some boys were trying to summon cthulhu from the bathroom sink." He said, putting his hands into his pockets.

"Summoning cthulhu?" Cooper turned to his friend and shook his head. "What is lacrosse? Is it similar to rugby? I have played that before as a kid, though it is a bit brutal." He asked, wanting to know a little bit more before he made any decisions like trying out for the team.

"More or so. Unlike rugby, you use a stick to carry the ball towards the goal and throw it into the goal. It's your classic 100% American sport,  since it was first played by the Native Americans." Kwan explained, flashing his friend a smile.

Cooper thought about what he had said about the sport as he turned towards the board. "I will try it out, it sounds fun, but um, Kwan, I don't have the right attire for tryouts." He asked, turning to his friend.

Kwan grinned, patting his friend's shoulder. "Come on, I may or may not have already thought ahead. I will get it while you go to the sports field. Hurry though, tryouts start in ten minutes." He said darting off, briefly tapping his watch.

Cooper stood there for a moment then called to his friend. "Where are the sports fields?" He called but his friend had already left the building. "And there he goes." He took a deep breath and began to walk down the hall, looking for someone to ask.

Sabrina happened to be fixing her makeup at her locker. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Cooper standing at the bulletin board. "Oh, Cooper! You seem like a little lost puppy." She pointed out turning around and capping her lipstick.

Cooper didn't know how to react to her suddenly wanting to speak to him. "Oh, um, Sabrina. I'm not lost, I am just trying to find the sports field. I would have asked Kwan but he had left to get something I suppose, not entirely sure." He rubbed the back of his neck.

Sabrina put her lipstick back into her locker and smiled closing the door. "Well, it is a good thing I know where the field is. You can follow me since I'm on my way to cheer practice." She tried to sound excited.

Cooper was finding this whole new world because things were never ceasing to amaze him. "How many people normally watch tryouts? Aren't there other things kids do during this time rather than watch practices?" He randomly asked, hoping to gain more information.

"A few, mostly girls but some boys do watch as well. Even practicing you need a little support. The coach is nice until he starts coaching them and then starts yelling and teasing, not the good teasing." Sabrina laughed softly, reaching her hands up and fixing the bow in her hair.

Cooper slowly nodded his head at what she was saying. "Kwan always says certain sports and occupations, the leaders or coaches often yell at the kids with mean words. Why do they do such things? You catch more flies with vinegar rather than honey or whatever the phrase is."

Sabrina began to walk with him leading him to the fields. "That is because they simply want to toughen you up and build you up how they want you to be. I was never into those sports, I did enjoy ice skating and ballet when I was younger. I mostly do cheer now, and it looks good for colleges too." She explained. "Did you do any other sports or activities besides equestrian riding?"

Cooper sucked in a deep breath and realized she was going to pry if he didn't give her something. "Fencing and chess. My father wasn't one to let us have fun, I can't remember the last time I had fun, it was always duty before enjoyment." He admitted, rubbing the back of his neck.