Museum of Local Foreign Art

USA, 2019 A.D.

The rain fell with an angelic grace, dampening Cinder's hair as she stood outside the apartment. Her brown locks were pulled back in a ponytail, less messy than usual, but still unkempt— she had never managed to make it anything other than wild. Still; it was a good thing that Iko had not seen her untamed tresses, or else she might have had a fit.

Aside from her hair, Cinder was rather put together— by comparison, at least. She had taken a shower and put on freshly clean clothes that she had never worn to work. The thought of all the effort she had put into her clothing choice made her both cringe and grin just a tad.

A vintage red truck pulled up to the apartment building. Cinder smiled, a tension within her released that she hadn't realized was there. He had actually come; she would not be abandoned yet again.

The driver's door opened, and out stepped Kai in a black t-shirt and jeans, wearing a brilliant smile upon his lips, making a set of faint dimples appear within his cheeks. His eyes twinkled with an air of mischief, causing Cinder's heart to lurch in a way she had never felt before. There was not a single pelt of fear within her— only giddiness.

Kai walked towards her, moving to her side as if to take her arm, before tilting his body sideways, his face flashing with horror. He walked beside her instead, cheeks aflame, and lip between his teeth.

Cinder grinned at him. "How are you doing?" She asked, her nerves lessening slightly upon seeing his.

"Splendidly," Kai said, before blinking rapidly. "Um, I'm doing rather well. I'm good. Dope." Kai's words came fast, but his blush won the face, consuming his features before his final declaration as to his well-being.

She stared at him, face pinched in a way that proved that she was attempting not to laugh. "Dope?" She asked, a chuckle escaping her lips.

Kai put his head down, as if he were a scolded puppy. The blush had reached his ears, though the movement of his head had caused his messy hair to cover them for the most part. "I heard it around," he said, his voice soft and dejected.

Cinder nodded to herself, brow slightly crossed. "Did you hear it back five years ago? Because I think that might be the last time I did."

Kai shot her a glare, but ignored her comment, moving to open the passenger's side door. Cinder glanced at him, having not expected such a gentlemanly act— not because he wasn't cavalier, but rather because she had never been shown such politeness.

"You don't have to do that," Cinder said, her own cheeks matching Kai's.

Kai shut the door behind her, and ran around to the driver's side, jumping into the seat and pulling on his safety belt. He then turned to her, hair falling into his quizzical eyes, lips slightly parted. For a moment, he stared at her, taking her in as his expressions clouded. "I know you do not need me to open your door," Kai grinned sideways, causing only a single dimple to make an appearance. "But I rather enjoy the old-fashioned technique," Kai's smile expanded, displaying his dimple duo. "As long as it brings you no offense, of course."

Squinting her eyes at Kai, Cinder pondered whether this display of politeness was akin to that of a serial killer's trap, or if perhaps, he was simply a cordial man.

She decided to go with the latter.

A hush fell throughout the car, and Cinder wrinkled her nose. She glanced at the dash, checking for a radio, only to discover an ancient, non-functional AM radio. She side-eyed her date, wondering if this man was even real.

"So," Cinder inquired, folding her arms. "Where do you come from?"

Kai grinned at her, eyes twinkling. "Are you asking me that because I'm Asian?"