The Death of Prince Kaito

USA 2019 A.D.

The freeway was nearly empty with darkness as its only companion and Kai felt completely alone as he drove south of Seattle despite Cinder's presence next to him. She slumbered peacefully, breathing out soft puffs of air that made her flyaway hairs dance and the window glass beneath her face fog. Her entire demeanor held only calm contrasting the boiling emotions that had taken control of her features only hours before.

Kai felt like the worst human being upon the whole earth— everything was his fault and it always had been. How selfish could he possibly be to make the love of his life suffer so? Even if it was so that they could be together and happy someday, how terrible was he to bring such incredible pain upon the woman he loved?

Through each life she had lived her existence was filled with horrors that Kai couldn't comprehend. From abusive households to illnesses to complete and utter abandonment, Selene's soul had seen the very worst of humanity through the course of over four hundred years and it was entirely his fault.

His heart felt like a ball of iron within his chest as he stared out at the dark and cloudy sky where even the moon no longer existed. The sky felt like a reflection of his very soul: so dark and dreary that no light could come through, even as it sat right beside him. Never before had he been so tormented by the presence of his love than he did now. 

Seeing Cinder's family and their treatment of her hadn't been what he had expected; he knew that the familial bond was weak and that Cinder had a poor relationship with her family, but he hadn't expected that. The pure hatred within Adri Linh's words alone made his own heart feel scolded— he could hardly imagine the hurt that would stem within Cinder from them.

Kai's own family— stars, back over four hundred years ago— had been tricky. His father wanted him to be everything that he was: powerful and unyielding. Kai had tried his very best to do what his father wanted of him growing up. He'd been a man, rather than yielding to his gentler childhood tendencies. He shunned weakness and taught himself to be an empty shell of a person, always seeking ambition rather than peace.

He could distinctly recall the day he'd met Selene— despite the long time since its oritinal occurrence. He was rushing down the hall, not running, but walking at a brisk pace. He didn't have much time before he was supposed to meet his father— they were discussing his betrothal to that of Princess Levana, bringing the Ming Dynasty more power than ever before. Kai had only met the woman on a few occasions and felt absolutely nothing for her, but what did it matter? He was going to be the Emperor of a great dynasty. Love didn't matter.

But as he turned the corner of the hallway, he found that his viewpoint would change. His body slammed into that of a girl dressed in white cotton and carrying a mound of linens. Kaito sneered, ready to yell at the lowly servant. He expected the girl to cower beneath his stare, but she didn't.

The girl glared at him, her eyes burning into his soul as he pulled himself up to his feet. She made no moves to clean up her mess of clean linens, but continued to stare at him. And for the first time in Prince Kaito's life, he found himself speechless.

That day held a lot of firsts for Prince Kaito: the first time he apologized to another, the first time he helped to clean up a mess, and the first time that he felt love.

Perhaps it was the defiant stare within her eyes, or the kindness she showed him upon his apology, but Kaito couldn't forget the girl. He hadn't even asked her name on that fateful day, but he kept an eye out for her in the months to come. He dreamed of her as he sat through meetings to discuss his wedding and in the quiet moments of solitude that he experienced. He longed to feel her beside him as he had but that one time, and have her skin brush against his so gently once more.