The Unintentional Victim

• Dedicated to Nbc Knight Rider - the original and Glen A. Larson

"Shall we have a volunteer, class?" The professor exclaimed cheerfully. His keen eyes scanned the room for a participant. Finding no willing students he deliberately pretended to read the seating charts for a random name.

"Miss Barstow. Would you be so kind as to join me up front here? Have a seat in the dentistry chair," the man smoothly commanded.

Thinking nothing of it, the brunette mechanic joined him in the front of the room. Her brows creased with curiosity and confusion as she did as he asked. Finding a comfortable position in the chair wasn't too hard, it was made of a fabric that seemed to soak her entire figure in.  

"Close your eyes Miss Barstow," the professor further commanded.  Bonnie hesitantly followed the instructions. This class was getting weirder and weirder for her. They had been talking about the psychology of pain .... but what did that have to do with the dentistry chair she was now seated in? Nothing. At least there wasn't a connection between the two in Bonnie's mind.

"Now class, if someone is being prepared for a procedure and there is an iv involved, is it better to have them look at the object of their fear? Or is it better to have them close their eyes?" He smoothly droned on and on in tone that seemed flooded with a silky air of pretension and false kindness. Then it hit her, she was investigating him for the disappearance of female students....that is why she had been placed in his class in the first place. 

Her eyes fluttered opened just as the professor had just poked something very sharp into her arm. Instinctively, she flinched and swatted at the needle as a gush of something submerged into her veins.  Suddenly, she felt woozy and tipsy as if she had gone to some wild drinking all-night-party. Had he drugged her? 

"Professor? I just remembered I need to make a phone call," Bonnie calmly requested, trying to make up an excuse to hastily exit the room before she became victim number three or worse, blacked out.

Where would Devon, Michael, and or KITT be now? Would they reach me in time? Bonnie wondered as she staggered silently back to her room. Her vision was now doubled and everything seemed like something out of a fantasy novel or even yet, a freaky dream. But the female mechanic knew it wasn’t a dream by the way her head throbbed and her muscles cried out for rest.

Upon finding her room she fumbled with the key and the lock until it granted her entrance. Sluggishly she made her way over to the desk beside the bed and she clutched the cord of the University’s phone tight within her hands. Her numb legs gave way and she clasped to the floor with a hushed thud and with her, she brought the phone down with a metallic clank. 

"Ouch!" She cried softly, as she began to strike the numbered keys of the phone. She grew frustrated, but by some miraculous power she was able to hear Michael’s voice on the other line.

"Hey Bon, what is it?" His cheerful voice rang over the line in a way that made the disoriented female mechanic nearly burst into tears. Bonnie longed to be in the safety of his arms…she desired to know that she would be okay.

"Mic…ha..el" she choked before falling silent a moment. What was she going to say, "I think the professor is drugging people?" No. Saying that would make her sound like a bias idiot. She hated to admit someone drugged her, it meant admitting a weakness. But she had to tell him…. she had to get help. 

"Yeah. Hey Bon, is somethin' wrong over there? Y’ha don’t sound to good." He replied curiously. 

She paused for a heartbreaking moment, trying to select the words that would alarm her co-worker the least. With a haggard and tired breath Bonnie stammered, “Mic..Michael? I… I need y…you,” she choked. Tears flocking to the corners of her eyes as she did.

"What happened? Where are you?" Michael promptly demanded, the tension and worry clearly ringing through his tone as he quizzed her. "I’m in.. my….my dorm…."she shakily answered as the world shuddered back and forth between vibrant reality and the crushing black of  unwanted sleep.

"Michael, be ware of …..the…pro…prof…." she started to caution him when the drugs kicked in. The phone slipped from her relaxing grasp as she fell into a suffocating sleep.