Searching for Bonnie

"Michael?" Kitt worriedly stated, having heard the thunderous "click" and the annoying monotonous drone left by the phone as it was returned to its cradle; signaling that the connection to Bonnie was abruptly severed.

Swallowing thickly the curly haired driver shakily replied, "yes, Kitt?"

"Michael, I don't think Bonnie was in any condition to hang up on us. She barely seemed alert enough to speak coherently.... not to mention the elongated pause between her last words to us and the time it took for the line of communication to be disconnected," the sleek Trans-Am mused aloud.

Michael's head of dark-curls cocked to the side as he considered his partner's haunting observation. He too didn't like the alarming situation much. The former police officer knew that Bonnie was very capable of handling herself in emergency and in dangerous situations, but something about the phone call gnawed at his nerves.

"Patch me in to Devon, Pal," he commanded, tugging the pilot's wheel sharply to the side and navigating the speeding car through a rapid and smooth u-turn in the middle of a deserted freeway. 

Devon's smiling face appeared on one of Kitt's dashboard tv screens. "Michael, how is your investigation going? Have you made contact with Bonnie yet? She is a little late in reporting back. I assume time slipped away from her," came his jovial, somewhat energetic, and friendly interrogation.

Michael's frown deepened and he nervously answered, "about Bonnie..... Devon, I don't think she is going to be making any check-ins today." He bit his lip as he tried to determine the least alarming way to convey the situation to their boss. 

"And why is that, dear boy?" Devon prompted, his brows arching in extreme surprise. 

Sighing Michael explained, "Devon... Bonnie....just called about ten minutes ago..." 

"And what is so terrible about that? I'm afraid I don't see your point, Michael," Devon patiently quizzed.

"Devon..... Bonnie sounded dazed as if.....something happened to her. When we were talking to her.... she requested help. That isn't the least of our worries, Bonnie said to be ware of the professor and I think she could be seriously hurt. She passed out or was intentionally cut off in the middle of our conversation," he tensely added. 

A drawn out silence and the sternly concerned expression on Devon's face gave the first indication that things weren't looking to promising in Bonnie's situation.

"Michael, I suggest you and Kitt charter the quickest route to Bonnie's dorm. Do me a favor and check things out. If there was foul play involved we need to know as soon as possible. I don't need to tell you how serious this situation could be. Do I?" Devon questioned.

"You sure don't." Michael replied through clenched teeth. His fingers coiling tightly around Kitt's pilot wheel as he spoke. 

"Oh and Michael? Do me a favor would you? Check in with me every other hour if you can. I'll forward any information or leads I get to KITT's data-banks. 

"Sounds like a plan, Devon," Michael calmly remarked.

"Bring Bonnie home safely and Michael, God speed," Devon hesitantly signed off. The screen fading to black as the connection was terminated.

"Michael you don't think....." Kitt began to prompt.

"No!" Michael sharply interjected, not needing or wanting to hear the rest of Kitt's question.

The trans-am fell quiet for a moment before asking, "do you think the same guys who caused those four women to disappear from campus....are the ones responsible for Bonnie's distress call do you?"

Michael mauled over an answer for what seemed to be an eternity, though it was merely a matter of minutes. Glumly he replied, "I don't know, Pal. I just don't know."

Kitt's scanner peeled dolefully from side to side as if his power-packs had suddenly been drained by an invisible force. He was processing all the information he could without saying anything to further alarm his driver. He wondered if he'd ever see Bonnie again and he couldn't help but dread having to go through life without his favorite mechanic, engineer, and his friend. 

Michael was growing antsy and stir crazy in the front seat. His dazzling blue eyes misting with concern as they tried to remain focused on the winding road ahead of them. It was then that he quietly admitted to himself that he needed Bonnie to survive this mess.

The rest of the drive to the university passed with an eerie silence between the two partners; each worried and imagining different horrific ends to the investigation- though neither of them would outwardly admit it. Faith seemed to run as low as smiles did in those passing moments, stuff full of the thickest tension that one could possibly imagine. 

 ((this may be further edited later))