Kakashi Hatake ─ "Whatcha reading?"

Kakashi had never seen you in the bookstore before. Hell, he had never even seen you in the village before. He was sure of it because he knew he would remember a face as pretty as yours. Yet here you were, behind the cash register, leaning on the counter and intently thumbing through the pages of some novel while he silently entered the store.

You seemed engrossed in whatever you were reading, so he quietly browsed the titles on display, searching for a new book to read while Jiraiya worked on his latest masterpiece. He purposely hung around the shelves closest to the cash register, hoping to see the title of the book in your hands. Kakashi snuck peeks at you, trying to get a better look at your face while also trying to see what the name of the novel.

A few minutes passed before he heard you gasp, "Oh! I'm so sorry, I didn't see you there! Is there anything I can help you find, sir?"

The silver haired ninja smiled, pleased that you finally noticed him before he casually looked over his shoulder. He waved a book in the air and replied, "I think I found what I was looking for."

You watched with keen interest as the shinobi sauntered around for a moment more before laying a copy of the novel you were reading on the counter. You looked down at the book before raising your eyes to his mostly covered face and cocking your head, saying with a good-natured smirk, "No offense, but you don't strike me as the romance novel type."

"I don't?" he asked with a raised brow. You could see his lips form a smile under the cloth of his mask. His one uncovered eye glanced from you, to your book, and then to his own before he replied, "I'm sure there are many things about one another that we would never assume. Wouldn't you say?"

"Maybe so," you sighed playfully as you began ringing up the total for his purchase. You met his gaze and finished speaking with a coy smile, "We'll never know though, will we?"

A gentle laugh passed from his mouth as he spoke, "Certainly not with pessimism like that."

You knit your eyebrows together at his sarcastic remark and erased the discount you previously put on his purchase. He watched as the price jumped up and then exclaimed, "Hey! I saw that!"

Your eyes were sparkling mischievously as you shrugged and said, "Did you assume that I meant to give you a discount?"

The shinobi kept a dark eye trained on you while he shook his head with a grin on his face. He was quiet as he paid for the book. You thanked him for his purchase and told him to come again. He replied his thanks and then stopped short of the door. You already had your nose tucked in your novel as he looked back to you.

"I'm Kakashi, by the way," he called out, breaking your focus.

You raised your eyes to him and let a smile spread across your face as you replied, "(Y/N)."

Kakashi threw a wave to you before exiting the shop. You watched with curiosity as he disappeared into the business of the village. Before returning your attention to your novel, you sighed loudly and hoped he would be back sooner than later. It wasn't everyday you got to flirt with a mysterious masked shinobi.

A week or so later, you were taking a walk through the forest whenever you saw a familiar mess of silver hair lounging under a tree with his nose in a book. It wasn't the cover he had purchased just days before and you were interested in whether or not he had already finished the book.

You called out to him and waved before walking toward the man. His head snapped to you and he quickly sat up, greeting you warmly. He lay the book down and your eyes dropped to the cover.

Icha Icha Paradaisu.

You raised an eyebrow at him and asked with a knowing grin, "Whatcha reading?"

He stumbled over his words for a moment before you sat beside him and plucked the novel from the grass. Your eyes scanned the back cover quickly, reading over the taglines. You then thumbed through the well-worn pages and chuckled, "Something tells me this isn't your first time reading Icha Icha Paradaisu, hmm?"

"Well..." Kakashi reasoned for a moment, "It would only be rude not to, seeing as my former student is now training under the author."

"Ahh, so you've read it dozens of times out of courtesy?" you joked as you flipped to the back of the book. On the final page was a photo of the author, as well as a signature. You added with a smile and a wink, "Getting an autograph was also courtesy? Or are you a fan-boy, Kakashi?"

Kakashi snatched the book from you and tucked it away in his vest before replying, "I appreciate the hard work Jiraiya puts into his novels."

You nodded as your eyes remained trained on the handsome man. You then asked, passively leaning on one elbow under the shade of the tree in front of him, "Have you read the novel you purchased from the shop yet?"

He replied that he hadn't and you chuckled lightly, a look of mischief present on your face once more. You pushed a piece of hair from your face as you replied, "Mhmm, you should check it out... Out of courtesy, of course."

A smirk pulled on your face while you rose to your feet to leave and continued, "Oh, and when you finish it, come by the shop and I'll get the author to sign it for you. After all, she did put years of hard work into it."

You sent him a final smile and bid him goodbye as you walked away. He watched as you disappeared back into the village and shook his head with a sigh before pulling the novel he bought that day out of his vest.

His eyes scanned the cover and then he leafed through the pages before he caught a glimpse of a photo on the final page. He smiled broadly and cursed under his breath as he saw your pretty picture printed in black and white. 

✕  ✕  ✕  ✕  ✕  

Who gave Kakashi the right to look like THAT?  Fucking beautiful