TWO

"You know, you really do make the best food." Remus smiled at his daughter, digging into the small plate of hash browns and sausages.

Hope joined the man at the table, setting his well sweetened coffee down next to his plate. "I have to be, with the way you cook I would've died by food poisoning years ago."

Remus laughed, trying hard not to choke on his food. "Hey, I try my best. Those pancakes I made at Christmas weren't all too bad."

"Weren't that bad? They were as hard as a rock! A quidditch team could've used them as replacement bludgers!" Hope and Remus were practically choking on their laughter at this point, recalling the tragic few meals he has tried to cook over the years.

"Alright, I may not be the best at cooking, but I do know one thing that's good about me."

"And that is?" Hope mused.

"I know where to find sweets you'll actually eat." He smiled, poking the girl on the nose. "Since it's your birthday today, how about we go get some ice cream later? My treat, obviously."

Hope's smile dropped as she sent the man a dejected look. "Dad, you haven't worked at all this month. Can you even afford it?"

"Of course I can! I'd do anything for my girl."

She sighed, swirling the food around on her plate. "Whether you want to or not is not the point, Dad. Maybe if you'd let me stay at home right before you transform I could-"

"That is a no, Hope! You know perfectly well why you can't stay here during those times." As if all of the joyous air from earlier had been sucked from the room, the two sat in awkward silence for a few moments. Only Hope dared to speak up.

"Dad, I understand how dangerous your lycanthropy is, you've told me over and over again. But I'm fifteen already, don't you think I'm old enough to be taking a bigger part in this? Maybe if I stayed at home, I could help you transition better." She folded her hands in her lap, giving her father a pitiful look.

"Though I admire your determination, Hope, it's still a no. You've already taken out a bigger part than you should have, and I don't need to feel guiltier about dragging you into my mess of a life." Though Remus seemed calm, the tension he emitted was thick enough to cut with a knife. He stood his ground, not letting his daughter's words persuade him. "What would happen if I made it to the house while in the other form and you were there? You are a strong girl, Hope, but not strong enough to fight off a werewolf. If I hurt you - or worse - I wouldn't be able to live with myself."

Hope had heard the same excuse over and over again. She'd been trying to persuade him to let her stay since she was eleven, but he never was the type to give in. Instead, all she could do was wait in fear at her grandfathers house, praying that he doesn't get himself killed. She knew she could handle him in her own werewolf form, but that was the one thing about her life he wasn't allowed to know.

The two finished their meals in an awkward silence, looking up at each other with sad eyes every so often. As Remus gathered up the plates to clean, a polite knock came from their front door. Hope went over to inspect the suspicious visitor as the two never had guests besides Lyall.

Hope unlocked the door, peering out slowly to find a tall man in purple robes standing on their front porch. He peered at her through half moon spectacles, smiling kindly.

"Professor Dumbledore? I didn't expect to see you today." She quickly opened the door, allowing the man entry into the small cottage.

"Hello there, Miss Lupin. Is your father around? I would like to speak with him."

Remus rounded the corner, wet towel still in hand as he dried a dish. "Professor Dumbledore. It's good to see you." He quickly set down the items, walking over to shake the man's hand.

"Likewise, Remus. I see you are on your feet after your latest transformation."

"I'm not as weak as I was when I went to Hogwarts. Hope is a big help as well, her knowledge of non-magic healing is quite useful." Remus gestured to his daughter, her sending a small smile in return.

He led the professor over to the living room, careful to let him sit on the chair instead of the unkempt sofa. Hope offered to make tea for the group, rushing off to put a kettle on.

"She really has grown up well. One could almost mistake her for an adult." Dumbledore commented.

"That's what I'm afraid of. She's still a kid, yet she acts more mature than I do sometimes."

"Well, that's who she is. She's a smart and courageous girl, and I don't think anything could change that." Dumbledore quieted as Hope entered the room, accepting the tea from her. Taking a sip, he changed the conversation. "Anyhow, I'm here to talk to you about something rather important. My apologies for coming to you so late, it took a lot of convincing on my part."

Remus and Hope shared a look of confusion before he continued. "I would like you to come work at Hogwarts this year. As you may know, we are in need of a new dark arts teacher, and I feel you'd be a perfect fit."

Remus was shocked, to say the least. Hope gently retrieved the tea cup from his shaking hands, replacing it with her hands instead. "I'm sorry, Professor, but I really don't think I'm a good choice for this position. You obviously know about my... illness and how dangerous it can be."

"I know full well how lycanthropy can affect a person, Remus. That being said, you dealt perfectly fine with the accommodations I provided while you were still in school. Is there any reasons for the new ones I've prepared to not work?" Dumbledore paused, sipping his tea before preparing another wave of answers to Remus' problems. "You were one of the most capable students I ever had the pleasure of teaching, and most of the staff agree that you'd be a perfect fit for the position. You'd obviously be paid well, and you'd be able to see Hope more often."

Remus thought it over in his head, hands still held by Hope's. He began to speak, but Hope interrupted before he could even get a whisper out. "He'll take the job."

"Hope-!"

"No, Dad. I know what you're going to say - that you're too dangerous to be around the students. You'll only be dangerous if you continue to isolate yourself instead of experiencing life. You need a real job, and it doesn't hurt that I'd finally get to see you everyday." Hope stared the man down, obviously not taking no for an answer. Dumbledore looked between the two, amused at their close dynamic.

Remus sighed, understanding that his daughter had made up his mind for him. "For the record, I think this is a horrible idea, but if Hope wants me to do it, than I will." The girl smiled with joy, pulling her father into a tight hug.

"Excellent, I have full faith that you will be an outstanding professor. And don't worry about your illness, I've had Severus produce a supply of wolfsbane potion to provide for you throughout the year." Dumbledore stood to leave, but Remus stopped him.

The man walked over, speaking quietly so that Hope could not hear. "Thank you for this opportunity, Professor. If I'm being honest, I was worried Hope and I may have to move. I didn't even have enough money to get her a present this year."

Dumbledore patted the man on the shoulder. "Don't you worry, Remus. You won't have to fret about that much longer. Besides, Hope does not seem like the type to get mad over something as small as a present." He reached into his pocket, retrieving a letter. "One other thing. Hope, I believe this is for you. I hear it's your birthday today. I may as well wish you a happy birthday and good luck in the coming semester now." The girl walked over, opening the letter to find her newest list of school supplies.

The three exchanged goodbyes as Dumbledore took his leave, thanking the girl for the delicious tea. Remus and Hope slumped back onto the couch, the latter as giddy as can be.

"I can't believe you're going to be my teacher. This is going to be so much fun."

Remus laughed. "Don't think I'm going to go easy on you just because you're my daughter. Who knows, I could be even tougher than McGonagall."

"Hmm." Hope mused. "Not likely."

"Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see."
Remus patted her on the head, happy to have such an amazing daughter. "How about we go get that ice cream now?"