EIGHT

The full moon was floating in the sky, taunting Hope with its luminous glow. She stayed far back from the window, watching as the silver light danced across the wooden floor of her dorm. Though the snores of her roommates were loud, there was only one force keeping her awake that night.

Hope pushed herself further into the door, trying her best to keep away from the light. She gagged, her mouth still painted with the taste of vomit from earlier. No matter how many potions she'd taken, the nausea just wouldn't leave her.

"So it's gonna be one of those nights." She whispered, pushing herself up off the floor. Hope stumbled over to her bed, keeping as quiet as possible. She set her wand down on the dresser before throwing her on robe, venturing out of the dormitories, letting her sensations lead her to where she must go.

Though it only took a matter of minutes, time for Hope seemed to drag on forever. The nausea in her stomach worsened, her body beckoning her towards the call of the moon. She obeyed, escaping through the halls and into the night.

She passed by Filch and his cat quite easily, the two non-the-wiser to her schemes, and continued on until she was at the edge of the castle, staring off into the oncoming forest. Blood coursed through her veins, every nerve and muscle urging her to go forth and accept her fate - and she did just that.

Throwing off her robes, she slowly stepped out, the sensation of wet grass against her bare feet the only thing keeping her sane. She managed to make it to the edge of the forest, the moon shining bright upon her fair skin, before letting go completely.

Like dry wood succumbing to fire, her body burned from the pain - she screamed. Torturous, it was, the feeling of your bones shifting beneath your skin, your nails and hair growing uncontrollably. Despite her agony, she didn't stop it, knowing only worse times would come if she tried to keep it inside. So she endured, pushed on until the transformation was complete, and she became the beast her father always feared she was.

Digging her claws into the ground, she raced off on all fours, savouring as the wind rushed by her pointed ears. She could smell every creature and plant within a ten mile radius, see clearly despite the looming darkness of the forest - it was euphoric to finally be freed of her pain as a human on this glorious night. So she ran and ran until she was out of forest to escape into. She howled, as loud and proud as she could, not expecting it when another howl came in return. Though Hope knew who was out there, her werewolf body did not. And so she carelessly proceeded in the direction of the noise, intrigued by the call of her own kind.

Remus Lupin was gone, replaced by the monster he loathed. He was alone, wandering aimlessly through the forest. Though the wolfsbane potion had allowed him to keep his mind, it had failed to put him asleep this time. Instead, he strolled for hours upon hours, taking in the new senses he had as a wolf - then he heard it.

Like the cry of a warrior, another wolf howled in the distance. On instinct, he howled back, shocked at the appearance of his kind. He then raced off, desperate to find who else was plagued by this curse.

He ran through the forest, fast and hard, dogging trees and shrubs, before making it into a clearing. He stood at the edge, watching the perimeter of the sprawling scape, before spotting it.

On the other side stood another werewolf, her hind feet and patchy fur all too familiar. She was large, but much smaller than Remus, her body emanating the scent of a young female. He recognized her as a pup, young yet full of pride.

He approached with caution, attempting to befriend the girl, but sensing the much stronger male approaching, she ran off, gone into the night.