Chapter six

Natasha POV:

After the game, Bruce came sit next to me on the couch and we started talking a bit. But Sam and Wanda, who were still sitting on the ground started talking next to us and their conversation quickly caught my attention.

"He must have been talking about someone specific. I mean, you can't just say things like that without having someone on your mind." said Sam.
They were obviously talking about Steve, whose little declaration still hadn't left their mind and if I'm being honest, it hadn't left mine either.

I was trying my best to listen to what they were saying, with Bruce who still didn't seem to realize that I really wasn't into our conversation as much as he was. I didn't want to be rude or anything but I couldn't help the curiosity I was feeling regarding my two other friends' conversation.

Wanda just shrugged and said "maybe, I don't know".

Sam then shook his head, looking a bit annoyed and told her:
"Oh no, I think you do know. You know I'm right and I think you might even know who he was talking about".
To which she answered "Even if I did, I wouldn't tell you. It wouldn't be my place to do so."

Tony, who apparently was also listening to their conversation, joined them saying "Well damn, when I find out who that girl is, I'm gonna need to have a serious conversation with her. She sure as hell must be something if she's able to have such a hold on Mr Captain America himself!"

Sam and Wanda started laughing at his comment and a small chuckle escaped my lips as well.

"Anyway, I get it Wanda. Steve will tell us when he is ready. Besides, I think I might have an idea of who that girl could be" said Sam and I swear I saw him quickly look at me as he said that. He couldn't possibly think it was me, right ?

I was snapped out of my thoughts by Bruce calling me "Natasha? Hey, are you listening to me?"

"Sorry, I zoned out." I told him, feeling a little bit bad about ignoring him like that.
He let out a nervous laugh before saying "Don't worry. I guess I should be the one apologizing for being so boring"
I laughed at his comment.
I looked up and noticed Steve coming back and as he made his way into the room, his eyes seemed to be looking for something or someone I guess. But then I felt Bruce's hand on my thigh, which instantly made my body tense. I was about to remove it and ask him to never do that again when I saw Steve sigh and leave the room with an angry look on his face.

What was that about? Was he mad because of what Bruce just did? Could he be jealous? Of course not Romanoff, why on earth would he be? I told myself. Something must have come to his mind and it put him in a bad mood.

I was once again snapped back into reality by Bruce but this time because of his hand moving on my thigh. What was he doing? Why? What made him think that I would be okay with him doing that? I mean, I've verbally flirted with him once or twice but that never actually meant anything for me. That's just what I do and I thought he knew that. I immediately took his hand off, and looked at him with a confused look.
"Hmm, Bruce. I'm sorry if I've sent you the wrong signals but I don't see you that way" I told him quietly.

He looked at me, playing with his watch, a bit embarrassed and said "Oh, alright. Sorry. It won't happen again".

I gave him a small and quick side smile before getting up, as I decided it was time for me to go to my room. I wasn't really tired, I just didn't feel like staying there anymore.

"I'm heading to my room fellas. Night."

They all answered with a general "good night" and I started heading towards the elevator in order to get to my floor.