Epilogue

One year later :

Steve POV:

"I think that's the one..." I said.

"Seeing how you're looking at it, I think so too." answered the woman in front of me.

We shared a smile and she picked it up.

Later that day, holding the little box in my hand, I could feel my cheeks starting to hurt because of how widely I was smiling at the thought of getting to spend the rest of my life by her side.

***

I was getting more nervous every minute, waiting for Nat to meet me at the place we shared our very first real kiss.

After what felt like another hour spent waiting, I finally heard footsteps coming from behind me and turned around.

"Hey. Are you okay?" she said, her eyes studying my face.

"Yeah. Everything is fine. Why?"

"I don't know. I guess I can just tell there is something on your mind."

I took a deep breath and moved forward, closing the distance between us.

"Actually, you're not wrong. That's why I asked you to meet me out here." I said, taking her hands in mine.

"Oh, okay. What is it?"

"I don't even know where to start to be honest" I laughed nervously and then added "For the past two weeks, I've been trying to find the best way to do this but nothing seemed good enough. And I don't want to wait any longer."

"Steve..."

"I know we've only been living together for three months and I don't want to scare you away by going too fast or anything but Nat... you're it for me. No matter how cheesy it might sound, I just know that I don't care what my future holds, as long as you're part if it. I want your face to be the first I see in the morning as I wake up and the last thing I see before going to sleep everyday.  What I feel for you is... it's everything. And if you'll have me, I would love to spend the rest of my life by your side. I promise to love and cherish you with all of my heart, forever."

I let go of her hands and took a deep breath.

"Natasha Romanoff," I grabbed the box in my pocket, slowly dropped to one knee and opened my mouth to let out the words she without doubt knew were coming: "Will you marry me?"

Relief, rapidly followed by a tremendous joy filled my entire body as a half-sob, half-laugh got stuck in her throat and she nodded quickly.

I smiled and slid the ring onto her finger, happy to see that it was a perfect fit.

She then helped me stand and as soon as I was up, threw herself in my arms and tugged me in for a kiss that I was sure would leave my mouth swollen and bruised.

"Yes! Of course, I will marry you Rogers. There's no one I would rather spend the rest of my life bothering."

We both laughed and I hugged her tighter.

"I'm never letting you go" I whispered, and I could feel her smile on my neck.

***

Natasha POV:

We told everyone about our engagement the next morning.

"Damn Rogers, well done!" Tony said.
He then took my hand to get a better look at the ring and stared at it with wide eyes.
"I knew he loved you but not THAT much!" he whispered to me.

I rolled my eyes at him and playfully shoved him away.
The ring really was stunning though.

They all congratulated us and we spent the night celebrating the engagement with our friends, our family.

That night, I fell asleep in Steve's arms, a smile still on my lips, excited to face whatever life had in store for me with the most amazing man by my side.

I was in love and it was the best thing that had ever happened to me.

———

And... that's a wrap!

I just want to say thank you to everyone.
Thank you all so much for reading and supporting this story.

We wouldn't be here without the comments and votes, motivating me to keep writing.

This little fic is over but I hope you enjoyed the short ride as much as I did.

See you!
🖖