5- Mine

Nightfall

Today was the day that Esteria was leaving to scout. Nightfall had to warn her about Eddy before it was too late. But how?

He heard her yawn from a few feet away. He peered out from behind a dimly glowing crystal to see her gleaming blue eyes wide open. She stretched her wings.

Nightfall took a deep breath and stepped over to her. "Este, I have to-" He began.

"Wow, Night. You're up early! That's not normal for you." She laughed and walked past him, her neatly folded wing brushing against his. He hurried to walk by her side. "Esteria, I have to tell you something." He began.

She scanned the still-sleeping dragons to make sure no trouble was occuring, but nodded at Nightfall to signify she was listening.

"Esteria, Eddy isn't who you think he is. I mean- he's a Tide Glider, but he doesn't really like you, though it may seem that way."

Esteria perked up. "It seems like he likes me?" She asked.

"Yes, but, er, no! He just wants the throne, I think." He said.

Esteria's gaze turned to him. "Why would you be so rude about Eddy? What do you have against him?"

Nightfall hesitated, worried he'd say the wrong thing. "I just want to protect you from anything that he might try-"

"I don't need protection! I'm perfectly capable!" Esteria huffed and looked away.

"But Esteria, he doesn't deserve you! All he wants is attention, and he's using you."

"And how did you figure this out, Nightfall?"

"It's the way he acts, I mean yesterday he said-"

Esteria turned an accusing and harsh gaze to Nightfall, cutting him off. "Nightfall, I can be with whoever I like, I don't care what you think! You've misread him, he's nice, and sweet, and, and well I think I like him!" She said, a little too loud.

Nightfall looked horrified. "But Este, you have to believe me-"

"No." She hissed, before taking to the air and speeding away.

Nightfall sighed. Eddy was right.

At that moment, Eddy appeared from the shadow of a nearby crystal. "Don't try anything more with my Esteria, Nightfall. You've lost, and I've won. She belongs to me now."

Nightfall's pupils turned to slits and he hissed, readying a blast. "Esteria belongs to no one!" He shot at Eddy, who dodged him.

"Tsk tsk tsk, Nightfall. She's nothing but a naïve little girl who needs someone like myself to take over. Consider your job done, she'll be protected and kept away from any danger, by me."

"But you are the danger! I can sense it! You have no plans to keep her around, you're just going to hurt her!" He summoned another blast and shot it, missing again. Again, his mouth filled with a blue-ish green flame as he readied yet another.

This time as he shot it, Eddy didn't dodge. Instead he cried out, and just before it hit him, Esteria dove from high above and saved him, the blast hitting her tail.

"How dare you, Nightfall! You claim he's just after attention, but look at yourself!" She put her tail into a pool of water to cool it, and Eddy hurried to her to see if she'd been harmed.

"But I-" Nightfall began, but he stopped as Esteria's gaze filled with disappointment and anger.

"Just don't." She said. Then she motioned for Eddy to follow her as she took off. Nightfall didn't dare follow.

Esteria

Esteria felt sad and angry at the same time as she flew away from Nightfall. He just tried to kill Eddy! He deserved what came to him, and more! She thought, trying to justify her actions. But part of her still ached to go back to him, to apologize, and finally confess her feelings for him.

The thought faded as Eddy nudged her. "You did the right thing, Princess."

Esteria smiled at him. "Thank you, Eddy. Did you, er, did you hear what I said about you when Night and I were talking?"

Eddy smiled. "I did. Did you really mean it?"

Esteria considered. "I-I think so."

Eddy had a triumphant look on his face. "Esteria, would you like to be with me?"

Esteria's flying faltered and she fell a few feet before steadying herself. She didn't exactly know how she felt, but the words he'd said made her feel something. Before she could convince herself otherwise, she answered. "Yes."

Eddy spun in the air and cheered. "Yes! Thank you, Esteria. What do you say, for now, we keep this to ourselves though."

Esteria cocked her head. "I-I guess..." She said. Eddy looked proud, so she smiled.

What just happened?

Lyra Stellar

Lyra sat on the beach, running her fingers through the sand. Katie splashed in the shallow water nearby, picking up all the seashells she could find.

"Ly! Look at this one!" She held up a full white seashell with swirls of a tan-ish color.

"Cool!" Lyra called back.

Katie smiled proudly and returned to her search for good shells.

Lyra readjusted herself in her beach-seat, the heat beating down on her. It sure was hot for an Autumn day.

"Katie, maybe we should go back," Lyra said.

"Noooo! Not yet, please Lyra?"

"Fine, a few more minutes." Lyra picked up her book and opened it again to read onto the next chapter. Then we can go home. She told herself, anxious to return to the air-conditioning.