6- Into the Wild Blue Yonder

(DeepFlame3's Artwork, featuring Kaiyō and Nightfall )

Esteria

Her heart thudded within her chest as she stood atop the Crystal, looking over her kingdom. Dusk was falling, and she felt she was ready to go... somewhat.

Esteria caught Eddy's eye from the audience, and he winked at her and gave her an encouraging smile. She smiled back and cleared her throat, then roared to get the attention of her subjects.

She put on a brave face and stood, wings outstretched slightly, to look regal and worthy for her people. "Today, I leave the Hidden World." She ignored the murmurs coming from the dragons. "As some may know, this sanctuary that has kept us safe for ages has become our biggest danger," She continued, circling the Crystal to face all of the gathered dragons.

"I will scout for safe islands for rest, and for food sources. Behind me, I have chosen two leaders to lead out two seperate groups from the Hidden World. They will address those in their group." She nodded at Serenity, signaling her to join her atop the Crystal. "While I'm gone, I am leaving Serenity of the Light Furies as your Queen and Alpha. You will treat her as you treat me, with respect." Serenity smiled nervously at Esteria.

"Alongside her, I am leaving Nigh-" Esteria faltered as the name began to be spoken. She caught Nightfalls ee, and he looked down, ashamed. I know he will do well. Get over it, this isn't about who you love, it is about caring for my Kingdom, and he can do that. She coughed a bit. "I am leaving Nightfall of the Night Lights as a leader of communications with me, and he will take over duties as Alpha once the last group is to leave the Hidden World."

She nodded at Nightfall, who flew up to the Crystal and sat beside Serenity. "Now before I leave, I must address this. If I don't return-" Saying this, again, she faltered, and coughed a little bit. "If I don't return, Serenity will become full-time Alpha and Queen, as long as her throne isn't challenged." To signify the end of her speech, esteria completely unfurled her wings and roared, earning the roar of her kingdom in return. With that, she flew towards the Hidden World's exit.

As she came out the top, she nodded at the Changewing guards, who bowed slightly. Bhind her, Kaiyō the Deep Flame, her father's appointed General of the underwater hunting expeditions, dove to a rock on the edge of the Hidden World's borders that was half submerged in the salty ocean water.

Esteria dove down to hover before him. He tucked in his gargantuan navy-blue wings and bowed his head before speaking. "Your Majesty," He said.

Esteria smiled. "Kaiyō, while I'm gone, you will continue duties as General, yes?"

Kaiyō nodded. "As always, m'lady. Now you must go, you need to get all the distance you can before the sun rises."

Esteria nodded, and opened her wings to take to the sky. The sky! Esteria had been out of the Hidden World before and had always felt so free. The sky was endless, and the ocean below her was speckled with islands of all sizes. The sun still hovered above the horizon, meaning Esteria had a little bit of time to enjoy herself before she had to go.

Off I go!

Nightfall

Nightfall flew out of the Hidden World's exit and sat beside a large blue dragon on a rock. He watched Esteria twirl gracefully through the endless navy sky. Her scales shimmered just right below the setting sun, and the ocean shimmered pink and orange colors. Her wings were tucked by her sides as she spun upwards, before unfurling them to catch herself in the air. Her gorgeous laugh rang through the air.

Nightfall's wings began to spread when Eddy the Tide Glider zoomed through the air and wrapped his tail around Esteria's.

Loathing and anger pulsed through Nightfall's body. No, Esteria belongs with me! He wanted to yell. Eddy flew with Esteria, his wing overlapping hers.

Kaiyō, a Deep Flame and Nightfall's close friend, nudged him a bit. "You alright, Night?" He asked, swishing his tail in the water beneath the rock they sat on.

"No." Nightfall said through gritted teeth. His markings glowed green and smoke came from his nostrils. "Something is wrong with that Glider."

Kaiyō chuckled. "Night, you need to let her go. She's an Alpha, for Thor's sake. There are so many dragons that you could be with so easily, Este is just not the girl for you."

Nightfall's heart sank as Kaiyō's words hit him right in the heart "But, I've known her forever, I always thought we were meant to be..."

Kaiyō smiled. "Sometimes life lets us down, you just have to move on."

Nightfall smiled sarcastically. "Since when do you hand out love advice?"

Kaiyō rolled his eyes. "Since you need it."

Nightfall looked back up at Eddy and Esteria, who flew side by side. He growled at Eddy, then looked at Esteria. Este, I'll never stop thinking of you. Of us.

He gave a final huff of smoke in Eddy's direction and flew away.