9- We have Dragons

Esteria

Esteria stood in the shadow of a tall tree, watching the human girl stare up at the stars. Esteria hated humans. She had to, of course. They were nothing but merciless killers.

But somehow, Esteria knew that she needed to go into that yard. The one that the girl sat in. A human yard. But why?

Esteria frowned. Waiting for this girl to walk away wasn't going to work. She thought that humans stayed indoors at night, but this one was stubborn! Just go inside, idiot human!

She plopped into the grass, deciding to sit and wait. Her mind immediately drifted to images of her and Eddy... then of her and Nightfall. Esteria felt something when she was near the black-and white dragon she'd loved her whole life. Loved? Did I love-love him? Or was he just... a friend? Who is he to me now?

Then there's Eddy, something about him felt different. Whether it was good different or bad different, she didn't know. But he loved her, right?

Esteria growled at herself. This is too hard. It shouldn't be this hard. It should just be like, LOOK! THERE HE IS! Then BOOM! You're together forever.

"Urgh!" She hissed aloud. Her mind instantly went back to the human, who had stood up and was scanning the yard. "Shoot." Esteria tried to inch back into the shadows to hide herself, but the girl had focused on her. She's seen me.

Esteria gave up on hiding and stood back up, pushing out her razor-sharp side spines and allowing her markings to glow a faint yellow. The girl walked towards her.

Esteria growled, and her pupils narrowed. She arched her back as the girl stepped closer. Again. What does this idiot think she's doing? Does she have any brains?

"Hello," The girl said kindly. "I'm Lyra. But I guess you know that."

Esteria shook her head. WHAT. THE. HECK. Are all humans this stupid? I'm DANGEROUS! RUN AWAY! OR I WILL SET YOU ON FIRE! Esteria snarled, and smoke rose from her nostrils. GO INSIDE AND GET HIGH ON SUGAR OR WHATEVER IT IS YOU HUMANS DO. OR I WILL KILL YOU!

Esteria wanted to kill this human. She should kill the human. But something told her not to. Why is this human so important? Why can't I just kill her to death?

"Girl, you need to calm down." Lyra said, placing her wimpy scale-less paw on her hip.

Esteria shot a small warning flame at Lyra's feet. The human jumped, then laughed slightly. She looked up at Esteria.

"Esteria is an awful pretty name, you know." Lyra said.

How the heck does this terror-brained human know my name?

"I thought for sure I had woken up. But apparently I'm still dreaming about dragons. Silly, isn't it?" Lyra said to herself more than Esteria.

Esteria huffed. I need to teach her a lesson, I suppose. She scooped the human onto her neck, retracting the spines there. Then she opened her wings, and took off.

Lyra Stellar

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!" Lyra screamed as she clutched the dragon's scales. This is real. I'm riding a dragon. This doesn't feel like a dream. What is happening? Her heart raced as the dragon thrashed through the air wildly. "Este, STOP!" She yelled as the dragon from her dreams flipped upside-down.

Esteria didn't stop. Instead, she shook her body and Lyra lost her grip, and fell. She screamed and flailed her arms in a wimpy attempt to stable herself, when another dragon, this one much smaller, came shooting upwards. She was pure white with light-blue fluff lining her back and chest. The small dragon was able to grab Lyra's ankles, and Lyra stopped too suddenly, sending blood rushing to her head.

"Ow," She muttered as the furry dragon dropped her to the ground. She scrambled to her feet, but the dizziness made her fall right back onto her behind. She looked at three dragons now, Esteria, the fluffy one, and a black-and white dragon with green eyes. Este seemed to be scolding them with her frustrated roars and growls. The other two just sat there, occasionally piping in with high-pitched chirps.

Well this is not something you see everyday. Lyra thought as she stared at the odd group. She got back to her feet, staying still for a moment until her vision cleared, then walked over to where her sketchbook had been before she'd seen Esteria. She picked it up and opened to a blank page, sliding her pencil out of the small holder on the side. She began sketching, outlining the silhouettes of the three dragons against the moonlight just like they had been minutes ago.

When Lyra looked up, she noticed that the dragons were no longer there. All three of them had disappeared into the night, without a trace. Was it really only a dream?