Prologue

Eight years earlier:

I hid the day the Grisha Examiners came. I was only seven,but even then I knew that if they knew about my power I would be taken away to be trained. They would take me away from my home,my parents,my brother,and my friends. No one in my family was Grisha. They were normal  just like everyone else I knew. Why did I have to be different?

Scrunching my knees up to my chest I peered out of my hiding spot,a dumb- waiter, trying to catch a glimpse of them. 

Three adults stood in my living room. There was a woman wearing a dark red Kefta embroidered with black.

A Heartrender 

I shuddered and turned my attention to the two men talking to my parents.

One of them was a Durast. I could tell by the purple kefta and the grey embroidery. The other man was wearing a midnight blue kefta with red embroidery. He was an Inferni. Like me.

I remember the day I first felt out that I was a Grisha. I was exploring the dusty attic of one house. Cobwebs were everywhere and kept getting in my mouth and hair. After hitting several limbs on boxes and trunks I remember wishing that I had a light so that I could see. All of a sudden both my hands lit up in flames. After panicking for several moments I realized that the fire wasn't burning me and my skin was unscathed. Then as quickly as it had appeared the flames vanished.

I never told anyone. A few years ago a girl in our village had been discovered as a Heartrender. She had been taken away to be trained,but after that everyone called her a monster and a freak. Summoning flames is different then being able to kill people without laying a hand on them,but I still didn't want people to look at me like that. Besides in our superstitious village the Grisha were feared and looked upon as if they were demons.

Because of this I had kept my gift hidden,and I had done a pretty good job of it too. I had planned on keeping it as a secret for the rest of my life if it weren't for the Grisha Examiners.

It was mandatory for every child to be tested before they turned eight. Because finding a Grisha in our village was extremely rare it was hardly a big deal when they came, so I had forgotten completely about them.

Realizing that my family was looking for me I scrunched myself into a ball as if it would make me smaller. My older brother brother Viktor walked by me and I was suddenly aware of how loud my breathing was. Clasping a hand over my mouth I pushed myself against the back wall of the dumb-waiter and tried to stay quiet.

Viktor had been the hardest not to tell about my gift. Despite being older then me by ten years he was my best friend. Viktor was a great listener too. There was something about him that made you want to tell him everything.

Suddenly the doors of the dumb-waiter opened and I squinted against the sudden brightness. Viktor swooped down and lifted me out of the dumb-waiter.

"There you are V," he exclaimed. "Where were you? We have visitors." Fake scowling at me he picked me up and set me on his shoulders while I shrieked and flailed. High up on Viktor's shoulders I felt like no one could hurt me. 

He carried me over to where the Examiners were in the parlor and set me down. Bending down to ruffle my hair he whispered in my ear "you'll be fine," and left.

My mother snatched me to her side and and smoothed out my wrinkled dress. "This is my daughter Valerya," she told the Examiners. The Heartrender who seemed to be in charge nodded. 

The Durast crouched down so that he was level with me. 

"Do you know why we're here?"

I nodded shyly.  "To test me."

The man smiled "That's right." Something about his smile was so infectious that I found myself grinning back at him.

The woman stepped towards me and curled her fingers around my wrist.

Immediately I could sense every single combustible element around me. I felt myself drawn to them and they called for me to bring them together and start a fire. I tried to resist it, but there was nothing I could do. Grabbing two pieces of metal from a nearby table I rubbed them together causing a spark. A ten foot tall flame burst out of my hand scorching the ceiling.

Everyone jumped back,including the Grisha. My parents stared at me as if they didn't know me. The Heartrender stepped forward.

"She's more powerful then I thought."

She pulled me to her side.

"We will be going. Thank you. You will be fully compensated for giving us such a gifted child." She smiled, but there was no warmth to it.

"Wait," I finally spoke up. "What about my things and my family?"

The Examiners looked confused. The Inferni crouched in front of me. 

"Silly child. You will have everything you've ever desired. New clothes, new toys, a new family. Now come along." 

Looking back at my parents I realized that they no longer looked scared or shocked. Just weary. My father nodded at me in a silent message to go with them. Blinking back tears I nodded. 

As I walked to the Examiner's carriage I saw Viktor running after me. Rushing up to me he gave me a hug and slipped a bundle into my hands. He stepped back and waved as I climbed into the carriage. 

During the long ride to Os Alta while everyone was asleep I opened the bundle. It was a small stuffed lamb that Viktor had given me for Christmas a few years ago. Attached to it was a note.

A little something to remind you of home. Don't worry. I'll see you again soon. I love you. Be brave.       - Viktor 

I whispered the words be brave to myself as I approached my new home

A/N  My first chapter. I'm actually really proud of it. If you read this please comment and vote on this story. Thank you. ❤️