Chapter 2

Nervously I stepped into the Darkling's office. It was a lot darker then I had expected so it took me a while for my eyes to adjust. 

There were several silent Oprichniki standing guard around the room and a desk in front of me, and behind that desk was the Darkling. 

He was sprawled in a black,ornate chair that kind of looked like a throne. Hardly looking up as I entered he flipped through a large report. 

I debated whether  or not I should say something, but decided against it. 

The Darkling looked up.

"I expect you know why you're here,"

"No," I answered quite frankly.

He raised an eyebrow.

"No, moi sovernyi ."

A corner of his mouth lifted. "Much better." Taking his feet of his desk, he sat up. "You are here because you have become a very power Inferni and having you in my service would be quite beneficial." 

My heart lept a little. Maybe I wouldn't have to be shipped of to some noble family. Maybe I could stay here and serve the Darkling, which was the highest honor a Grisha could obtain.

"However," he continued.

My heart sank.

"There have been certain incidents that show that you might not be suitable for a position here." He flipped through his report and stopped on a page. "According to your instructors you have burned down several small structures in fits of anger, almost roasted half of your classmates alive, and have severely injured some students who were making fun of you. You are unpredictable, temperamental, and quite frankly a danger to the other Grisha. On the other hand you are extremely powerful." He raised an eyebrow. "What do you have to say for yourself?"

What he said was true. I don't try to hurt people,but whenever I'm angry or upset I just kind of loose it. That's a terrible excuse for nearly roasting half of my classmates, but in all honesty I just can't help it.

"You could give me a second chance?" I asked questionably.

The Darkling looked like he was considering it.

"Why should I?" 

"Well like you said I'm very powerful. You could have me train here for one month. If any incidents happen you can send me somewhere else."

The Darkling glanced at me. "How do I know that you aren't going to burn the Little Palace to the ground?" 

"I'll try to control myself." I answered confidently.

"You'll have to," he corrected me. "Come here," 

Nervously I walked over to his desk. The Darkling's hand shot out and grabbed my wrist. 

Flames burst out of my hands suddenly without warning. 

"Control it," the Darkling commanded.

I extinguished the flames quickly.

"Hmmm," The Darkling seemed to be thinking. He beckoned one of the Oprichniki to come over. 

"Hand me your knife."

"What are you going to do?" I asked shakily. 

The Darkling didn't reply. Instead he tightened the grip on my hand and sliced my wrist with the knife in his other hand. 

Flames shot out towards the Darkling who easily blocked with tendrils of his own darkness.

"Control it," He commanded again.

I honestly tried, but my wrist was throbbing painfully and I couldn't concentrate. The only thing I felt was anger towards the Darkling. He could have at least warned me or something. I felt blood dripping down my wrist and got suddenly light headed. My flames sputtered for a few moments and finally extinguished.

The Darkling looked at me curiously. "You'll have to work on that if you're to train here." 

I was too light headed to respond. 

He nodded to one of the Oprichniki.

"Get her to a healer."

I glared at the Oprichniki as he took me by the elbow and roughly escorted me out of the room. 

"Oh, and Valerya."

I turned.

The Darkling smirked at me.

"Try not to burn anything down." 

A/N 

How did I do?

It was weird writing the Darkling into this story because he's my favorite character and I didn't want to mess him up. 

Please comment. I want to know your thoughts on this story.

Also as I'm writing this my story has 128 reads. That's crazy. I wrote this thinking that no one would see this and now I have 128 reads. Wow. Thank you. I love you guys

~Melody