2: daddy issues

A/N: I know some of you (a lot of you) will have immediately thought of the title of this chapter inappropriately but I just want to let you all know that Zedd's daddy issues are NOT sexual in any way and there will be NONE of that sort of thing in this story. 👀

Note that this chapter continues straight on from the previous one.

---

Zedd cont.

The cool night air helped calm me down, as did Julie's soothing back rubs. One day, I knew, I was going to snap. The only thing that had stopped me from throwing my cocktail right in my precious daddy's face moments ago was the knowledge of the consequences. It didn't do well to stand up to Richard Menz. Especially in public. Especially if you're his son.

"Talk to me Zedd. I know something's weighing on you..." Julie sighed, helpless in my silence.

"I can't Julie. You don't understand," I grunted.

"Then make me," she leaned her back against the balcony next to me, her concerned eyes searching my face for answers that wouldn't be there.

I sighed and ran my hands through my hair, not caring if I messed up the carefully combed style that my father demanded. As I mentioned before, I don't like to feel. And I especially don't like to talk about my feelings.

"What do you want to know?" I avoided Julie's insistent gaze and looked out over Mr Berg's shadowy grounds.

"Why did you storm out of there?"

"I couldn't deal with their bullshit for any longer."

"I thought you were used to it."

"I guess. But sometimes it just gets so obvious I wanna spew."

"Are you sure it wasn't because of the kiss?"

I froze. I hadn't expected her to bring that up. She knew it was part of the act.

"What about it?" I tried to keep my voice level.

"I don't know. It just felt forced. And honestly, you haven't touched me in a while. I was just wondering if everything was okay?" Julie laid a soft hand over my own.

I took the time to gather my thoughts before answering. I didn't want to hurt her. But it was time that part of this roleplay ended.

"Look Julie," I turned my head to look at her, "If I'm honest with you, I don't really see you as my booty call anymore. You have gotten closer to me than a lot of people, and I've started to see you as a sister. And I was acting off with the kiss inside because my father was the one who ordered me to kiss you."

Julie's eyes widened as for once I opened up. Slightly.

"I've gotten closer, yet it's as a sister you see me, not as a girlfriend?" she raised a perfect eyebrow.

I looked away from her again. I couldn't hold her gaze. I was scared that she would be able to read me too easily.

"I'm sorry Julie. I truly only see you as a sister," I bit my lip, concerned about her response.