The Next Captain

Previously

As Nikki walked Dr. Foster inside, Jamie let a long sigh. It was mainly of stress, but also partly relief. And that relief was because of Dr. Foster. With him here and his expertise on Quantum Theory, maybe, just maybe, they had an even better chance at success.

Jamie shook his head at it all, it was a lot to unbox, but that's life.

As he started back inside, the sound of another car coming onto the premises. He recognized it immediately and put on a half smile as he watched it come down the path until finally it came up and stopped right in front of him. The driver rolled the window down and looked up to the red head, revealing the driver to be Peter Parker.

"I'm back!" he stated in a fake deep voice and a grin.

Jamie chortled at hearing he friend say that, recognizing what it was from. "Terminator 3. Nice choice, good timing."

Peter opened the door and stepped out of the car to stand there with his friend. "Thanks. Thought about it on the way up the road. Oh! By the way, I was able to make this."

H held up his right hand which had what looked like a thin metallic clamp that went around Peter's whole hand. "A fully functioning Time-Space GPS."

Looking at it up close, Jamie looked at the device and wondered how it worked. "Looks cool."

"Yeah, now I just gotta figure how to navigate properly."

"Oh, well someone who knows just got here." Jamie said, referring to their new guest. "His name's Bill Foster, and he's an expert with this quantum stuff."

Peter's face lit up with some hope. "Really?"

"Yep. Nikki just took him inside, we're testing out the machine right now."

"Alright, good. Sounds like we got it."

Jamie bobbed his head at that with a shrug. "Yeah, we-we got something. Heh! I'm glad you're here though, Peter. I'm glad you decided to help, I know you weren't exactly in favor of it at first."

When he said that, Peter felt that pinch on the heart again as his fearful thoughts began to haunt him again. He nodded at Jamie's words in sad truth. "Yeah....yeah..."

"You ok?"

"Yeah, I just......I mean, I'm glad we've got a shot at getting these stones, but.....things are different now. My priorities have changed, and...there's more to be afraid of. And if it works then....(shrugs)..bring back what we lost? Yes, would love that. Keep what I've got? HAVE to! There's no alternative to that....and, ya know, maybe not dying would be nice..."

Jamie nodded at those words, agreeing with his "big brother" completely. He wanted to do this as well, but he didn't want to lose anyone in the process. And surviving it all as the end result would be nice. Because then, they'd all be together and, hopefully, back with their loved one. All of them....yeah, that would be nice.

Holding out his hand, Jamie nodded once again with a sympathetic smile. "Sounds good to me."

Peter smiled at his "little brother" and his understanding of his feelings with this, and took Jamie's hand and shook it. That was before the two brought it in for a hug.