More Nefarious Plans

Glittering light from the moon cascaded down onto the castle, bathing the landscape with its dim glow. The cool night air drifted in through the window, breezing past Leonie as she sat glaring through the square opening, menace brewing in her heart. The navy blue robe covering her white shift was creased into her fists. Her earlier encounter with Anika left her with a scorching hatred and an impatient need for retribution.

She stood from her chair and went to the door that connected her bedroom to the adjoining room next to hers. Because she'd had little inclination to sleep in the same bed as her late husband, she'd been adamant about living in separate rooms. With him gone, she'd sold most of his belongings and stored the rest.

Since then, she'd put the room to good use. As she entered, a collection of beckoning caws greeted her from the other side of the room. Leonie smiled at the large iron cage filled with several ravens. She strolled across to grab the satchel of birdseed on the floor. After refilling the ravens' small bowls with food, she set the bag aside and marched to the only other object in the room, a small writing desk.

She composed a quick letter on a small scrap of paper, then rolled it up. Her gaze migrated back to the birds. Once they'd eaten their fill, Leonie put her forearm into the cage until one of them climbed on. Closing the small gate to keep the others from escaping, she put her message into the small container securely attached to the raven's leg. Its head bounced and swiveled as it climbed higher to rest on her shoulder.

Leonie returned to her room, back to her spot in front of the open window. The bird immediately flew out, summoned by an inherent need to return home to the secluded cabin hidden just beyond the forest line. The ravens were intelligent animals, but they hardly knew their significance. Without them, she may never have survived her time in that dreadful place.

In minutes, a man on horseback galloped from the forest, cautiously avoiding the main road. She watched him until he made it to the castle where he jumped off his horse and advanced toward the back entrance. His broad torso and shoulders were hidden beneath a dark cloak, but the hood was down, showing his ruffled black hair clearly.

Waiting for him to come to her, she sat down in her chair, folding her hands in her lap. When her chamber door creaked open, she continued staring out the window.

The tall man walked behind her chair and placed a rough hand on her shoulder, the scent of leather and pine tree invading her senses.

"It's been weeks. I thought you'd never send for me," he said.

"I know. This place has become such a burden. The stress of maintaining everything has gotten overwhelming."

He leaned down to run his stumbled cheek against her own, soothing her nerves with the welcome display of affection.

"Women of your stature should never worry over such things. You deserve a life of luxury and leisure."

Leonie smiled as she leaned into his touch, grateful for the flattery she was once so accustomed to, yet rarely received in recent days.

"You always know what to say, Hans. All these years, and you can still cheer me up."

He chuckled and pulled back slightly to massage her shoulders. She closed her eyes, enjoying the release of tension from her stiff neck.

"Do you recall the day we met? That old sap had gone away to attend to business matters. You hired me to hunt down the beast that was stalking your chickens," he said.

"I remember well. You brought me that damned coyote's head the next day and placed it at my feet. I was so taken by you that I couldn't resist asking you to stay in the castle," she reminisced.

"And in your bed," he whispered into her ear, raising goosebumps across her skin.

Leonie stood and spun to embrace her secret lover. They had shared their darkest desires and deepest secrets with one another since before she'd put an end to her marriage into misery. The smell of the forest enveloped her, but the comfort of his arms wasn't enough to quell the anger boiling within. She tried to focus on the man in front of her, but her mind conjured the image of her stepdaughter and she pulled away.

"What is it, Schatz?," he asked, referring to her by her favorite endearment.

"I don't feel much like a treasure right now," she sighed, wrapping her arms around herself, "We are in debt and the Prince will soon come for payment. That wretched brat ruined the only chance I had to rise out of this decrepit hole. She even had the audacity to put the blame on me. As if it's my fault her father left me with barely enough to keep up my wardrobe, let alone a household."

Hans approached to hug her from behind, consoling her with his warmth.

"What do you expect from a stubborn, spoiled child? I'm sorry she has bound you to this lousy life. I wish I could make you happy, Leonie."

"I doubt I'll ever be happy as long as she lives," Leonie groaned.

"Well, then," Hans said as he pulled her shoulder back gently to turn her around until she faced him, "I shall just have to get rid of her for you. In the event of her death, you would become the sole beneficiary for the will, right?"

Her eyes widened as she processed his proposed plan, finding it ultimately feasible and exciting. Leonie placed her hands against his cheeks, looking into his amber gaze.

"You would do this for me? Commit murder to ensure my future is sound?"

Hans smirked as he reached up to twirl a lock of her flaming red hair between his fingers.

"Darling, I would lay a thousand bodies at your feet if only to make you happy."

Leonie's elation moved her to kiss the hunter passionately. He pulled her tight, returning the kiss with fervor. All the while, the wheels in her head were turning. She compiled a list of things to do in her mind. One important detail would be needed to seal the deal if she wished to receive the inheritance without dispute. She broke the kiss to implore the hunter.

"You must bring her back once the deed is finished. I have to obtain proof to show the attorney. Then, we can move further north toward the larger towns where my social status can be put to good use."

"Of course, Schatz. Anything for you."

Leonie spent the evening with her lover, refining their plan to perfection. At times, she supposed she should feel something in regard to plotting the assassination of her stepdaughter. But that feeling was fleeting at most. Losing the girl would mean one less hassle for her to deal with and an opportunity to finally possess the fortune she deserved. For the first time in a very long time, she looked forward to the next day.