Fleeting Happiness, Fleeing Danger

The warmth from the midday sun rained down over the orchard. Several sloping rows of trees and the tall grass in between reached high, grasping at the rays of light. Anika's eyes were closed as she lifted her face toward the sky. Like the plants around her, she soaked up the sun's energy like a sponge.

She smiled as she gazed at the rows of trees. Apples filled their branches all the way to the top, dotting the greenery with spots of red throughout. Turning her grin back on the huntsman who stood on the edge with the pair of horses, she was greeted with indifference. Anika adored the orchard far more than most, but the splendid scenery should have been enough to bring a smile to the stern face of her escort.

Persuaded by the beauty of the landscape and promise fresh fruit hanging from the trees, she raised her basket high as she traversed the thick grass. She went from one tree to the next, scouring the twisted arms of the tree to find the best picks to fill her basket.

As she migrated toward the next one, Anika glanced back toward the edge. She saw the horses with their reins tied around a nearby tree, but the huntsman was out of sight. As she searched through the line of trees, something soft and furry brushed across her ankle. Her initial shock morphed into adoration when she realized the animal scurrying around her feet was a tiny bunny.

Anika kneeled down, slowly placing her hand onto the crumpled grass in front of the small animal.

"I'm sorry, little one. I didn't mean to startle you," her soft voice enticed the bunny to come nearer. It cautiously extended it's neck to sniff her hand.

Anika grinned as the ball of fluff inched closer, allowing her to pet it gently. The moment was short-lived as the bunny suddenly jumped back and hopped away in a rapid pace. She frowned while watching it flee. Then, she looked at the ground where a large shadow overtook her own. A dark arm lifted grasping something sharp in its hand.

Fear stole the air from her lungs in a frightened gasp as she twisted around. The angry scowl on the huntsman face was worse than before, his eyes bearing unbridled malice. The dagger in his grip came down toward her and she rolled to evade the deadly strike. She cried out at the sharp pain in her right arm, but Anika pulled herself to her feet quickly to run toward the thick forest.

The breaking of low hanging tree limbs and cracking of fallen branches echoed behind her as she sprinted through the tangled woods. The huntsman was on her heels. The incline increased over the terrain as he chased her further up the mountain. The sudden impact of him tackling her sent her tumbling to the ground. She screamed when he yanked the edge of her cloak, tearing part of the seam.

"Hey! Who's trespassing on our mountain?!"

The angry shout came from close by, stunning Anika and the huntsman. He lifted the dagger to make his final assault.

"Hello?! Is anyone out there?!"

"The noise came from over here! Come on, fellas!"

The deep voices drew closer and the huntsman stumbled backward. As a large group seemed to move toward them, the huntsman took off in the opposite direction back down the mountain. Anika's wide gaze scanned the forestry around her as she cradled her wounded arm.

"Dammed thieves! I guarantee it."

"Whoever it is, they're probably lookin' to claim our riches."

"Like hell, they are! I don't work all day so some lazy guy could just come snatch up all the profit!"

"HI-HO!," the group exclaimed collectively.

Anika's jaw dropped as they emerged from the trees. The deep, angry voices hadn't belonged to big, brutish men. Instead, she was met by seven individuals the size of children, though they appeared to be much older with some of them sporting full beards. She realized they looked exactly like the dwarves from the fairytales she'd read when she was younger. The fabled mountain dwellers stared at her in shock.

"Oi," the one on the end nudge the dwarf to his right and whispered, "What's a girl doing all the way out here alone? Don't suppose she's one of those ladies of the night?"

The one on the right slapped the back of his friend's head for the rude assessment.

"Cram it, Harry. She is obviously a lady."

"I don't know," said the bearded one in the middle, "Seems questionable, considering her attire."

"She's apparently been through an ordeal, Jerry. These woods are treacherous."

"Okay, Gary. What do you propose we do with her, then?"

Anika sat there on the ground, surrounded by strange, little men. There words were drowned out by the roaring in her ears that soon faded to silence. Her arm stung, but the shock of what was happening seemed to numb most of the pain. As her vision waned, she realized it was doing more than desensitizing her.

The adrenaline wore off, leaving her exhausted to the point of unconsciousness. Before her mind gave in to the darkness awaiting her, she thought of the huntsman and how her stepmother had been the one to send her out to her death.