The Trouble With Innocence

Anika left her quarters in the morning the get an early start on her chores. She entered the kitchen, surprised to find it empty. Usually Peter would be preparing breakfast for her stepmother. She cut off a slice of bread and grabbed a small block of cheese, storing them in her apron pocket for later. Moving through the kitchen to grab various cleaning supplies, she gathered up everything she would need and headed up toward the great hall.

As she walked down the corridor, she heard hushed voices coming from the room ahead. When she entered, she saw her stepmother engrossed in a quiet discussion with the cook and a large man. The stranger wore dark clothing and a cloak that extended past his waist. He had a bow hanging from his back and a short sword equipped to his belt.

Peter's wrinkled gaze spotted her first and he immediately stopped speaking. Leonie and the armed man turned to face her. Anika worried that she would be punished for her outburst the previous night, but her stepmother looked to be in good spirits as she smiled sweetly at her.

"Anika!," Leonie said as she strolled across the way to stand in front of her. Her blue dress shimmered as she moved, the flowing skirts dragging behind her in waves of fabric. "I thought you'd enjoy a break from your chores to visit the old apple orchard."

Immediate suspicion clouded her mind as Anika's gaze darted from one person to the other. She wanted to question the sudden civility her stepmother was exhibiting, but concern that Leonie would be upset at the inquiry prevented her from asking.

"I haven't been to the orchard since father passed away...," she said instead.

"I know how much you enjoyed it and Peter offered to use the fruit in an exquisite dessert recipe. I believe he called it Roman apple cake," Leonie glanced back at Peter.

Sweat covered his forehead and his mouth bobbed as he tried to formulate a response. Leonie clapped her hands together to draw Anita's attention back to her.

"He's just nervous about making a dish he's never attempted before," she explained, "He'll need at least a dozen apples."

"But, the orchard has been overtaken by the forest. It isn't safe."

"That's why I've asked this huntsman to join you," Leonie replied as she waved the large man over. His frown lifted only slightly as he bowed in a courteous greeting. "This is Hans. He'll protect you on your journey. Go now and get dressed or it'll be sundown before you make it back."

Anika's feet remained rooted in place as she processed what was happening. Her stepmother seemed to finally be making an effort. This could be the change she'd always wanted. She was being given a chance to visit the apple orchard where she and her father would go together on occasion. It was a place they'd called their own. She wasn't about the give that up.

"Go, child. Before I change my mind," Leonie snapped, urging Anika to flee quickly.

She ran to put away her supplies, retrieve a large basket for the fruit, and to grab her riding boots from her room. As she put them on, her eyes were drawn to the beautiful red cloak hanging on her wall. Grinning, she grabbed the garment and rushed back to the great room.

Peter and Leonie had vanished, leaving the large brute of a man standing before the unlit fireplace. He faced her as she entered.

"Ready?," he asked in a gruff tone.

"Yes. Thank you for waiting," she said as she pulled the luxurious cloak over her shoulders.

His reply was a short nod, then he went through the corridor toward the backside of the castle. She followed, her feet shuffling to keep up with his long strides. They exited the castle and she saw two horses waiting outside. Hans assisted her in climbing onto one of the large stallions before mounting his own.

As they began riding away toward the forest, Anika looked back at her home with a soft smile. Her stepmother was making an effort to ease the discourse between them and she couldn't be more surprised or appreciative of the drastic change. She decided she would find the most perfectly ripe apple to give to Leonie to show her gratitude.

With gratitude on her mind, she turned her head to address the huntsman.

"I should thank you for escorting me, sir. It feels like a lifetime since I visited my father's orchard."

Hans gave her no reply, though his frown seemed to deepen. She pursed her lips but said nothing. Anika refused to let anything, even the grumpy huntsman, sour her good mood.