Salvation

Raindrops ran down the windows of the Impala, slipping across the chrome surface due to the high speeds of the car. The brothers and I had agreed to go back for my truck in the morning and salvage whatever we could. I was mostly concerned about the weapons stash - I hoped the vampires wouldn't go rummaging in the wreckage.

I doubted the monsters would stay for long. There was nothing there for them anymore. Their leader was dead, and they knew we were still in the area. I expected they would be gone by morning.

The car was quiet, though I hadn't expected anything different. The thrills of the evening had finally worn off, leaving nothing but worry and rampant questions in its wake. I could imagine that the boys were concerned about their father. Would he be waiting for them at the motel, or would he have already left to fight the demon? Would he even allow his sons to accompany him?

I propped my cheek against my hand, eyes flickering to the treeline outside the roaring car. I felt as though I should be panicking, or at the very least nervous about the night's events. But truthfully, I felt at peace, as though I finally understood a part of me I had been struggling with.

My wolf was once again silent, her lack of a presence drawing my attention to the furthest recesses of my mind. I couldn't help but wonder where she had gone.

Was it fear that had kept me from shifting? It must have been. That sense of terror that I wouldn't be able to control my actions or my blood lust. Perhaps that's why I had kept her chained down - because I never wanted to confirm the worries that I had previously felt. Worries that maybe I really was a monster.

But I wasn't. At least, not in the eyes of those I cared about. Maybe I was, or had the capabilities to be, but for now, I was unconcerned about what my future held.

I felt loved.

The Impala slowed to a gradual halt in the motel parking lot. I slowly unbuckled my seat belt and slid out of the car, my feet hitting the wet asphalt with a soft thump. The ground was still covered in large puddles, leftover from the recent rainstorm.

I knew it was after midnight, but I had no idea just how late it was. I didn't really care; I just wanted to sleep. Without a word I passed the brothers and headed towards my room, waving at them as if to bid them a good night.

My room was cold, as though someone had left a window open while I was gone. I shivered and shrugged off my coat, laying it gently over the back of the armchair that sat in one corner of the room. I rummaged through my belongings, looking for a change of clothes, and sighed. As much as I wanted to sleep, I was covered in dirt and dried blood, and desperately in need of a shower.

I had planned to take a short shower, just enough to clean off all the blood. The warm water was too inviting for me to get out quickly, so instead, I soaked, watching as the dried blood washed off and disappeared down the drain.

In just two days with the Winchesters, my life had been turned upside yet again. I had a sneaking suspicion that there was more to come.

---

I woke to a heavy pounding on my motel room door, jarring me from a surprisingly deep and peaceful sleep. I bolted upright with wide, startled eyes and leaped from the bed, padding softly across the carpeted floor to the door. I turned the lock and drew the door open, meeting Dean's grinning face.

"Bout time you woke up," he teased, leaning against the door frame. "I was beginning to think I had the wrong room."

I opened the door just a bit more and glanced at the golden placard that read '105'. "Nope, you got the right one," I joked. "What can I do for you, Dean?"