Are You God?

I never thought I'd appreciate a long car ride in a cramped vehicle so much - or as much as I could, considering the deafening silence. Gator and Marcus had hardly said a word since the end of the hunt. Taking in my now bloodied and weary form, Marcus sucked sharply on his teeth, preparing himself for the tongue lashing that was to come.

"I'm going back," he had said quietly after I had explained the night's events. "To the hospital, I mean. Caeden needs me there - I know it."

He did not get the tongue lashing he had expected. Instead, I nodded my head, closing my heavy eyes and letting out a sigh. I trusted his judgment, despite what he might have thought. Sure, sometimes he was quick to anger and a bit snarky, but when it came to Caeden, his judgment was always sound. I didn't doubt him.

"Go," I had ordered just as softly, more as permission than anything else. "Take Gator with you, she'll want to go back too. Let me know when you get there," I said with a soft pat on his shoulder, swaying slightly as the rush of adrenaline left my body.

Gator lifted her pink head from where she leaned beside Clarence's beaten truck. Unlike Marcus, she had quickly warmed up to me. She seemed trusting, and had an innate quality to sense trustworthiness in others. I could already tell that when she was with someone, she was with them one hundred percent. Even after months together, that wasn't something I expected from Marcus or Caeden. Their faith in me was earned, not freely given.

"... Are you sure?" Marcus pressed, trying to dredge up a more familiar response. I nodded my head and muttered a quiet 'I trust you', earning another surprised but warm glance.

The pair left shortly after, too exhausted to say much of anything snappy to each other. They were on opposite ends of the same sarcastic, sassy spectrum. It would be interesting to see how they would get along until Gator and her group left - if they left.

Minutes after watching the pair drive off rather recklessly down the highway, I turned towards the already running Impala. I doubted Marcus would get much sleep with Gator's hazardous driving skills.

I wasn't entirely sure how I had gotten into the Impala, when I had buckled my seat belt, or when the sun had begun to rise. I knew I fell asleep, but I hardly had time to contemplate it before I was pulled back into unconsciousness.

Every few minutes Dean's eyes would find their way to the rearview mirror, taking in my sleeping form. It was only for a matter of seconds, but it was enough to bring him peace of mind. He had no clue he was doing it, in fact. Over the months, it had just become habit.

"Did she tell you about the hunt?" he murmured quietly, side-eyeing Sam who had given up on sleeping hours ago, and was instead enjoying a book.

"Who, Y/N? No," he whispered back just as quietly, looking over his own shoulder at my sleeping form. "No, she hasn't told me anything. Those wounds look rough though, the ones on her arm," he spoke, gesturing with the open book to his own arm. "Like something ripped her."

"Yeah..." Dean muttered back, lost in thought. Sam pursed his lips at his brother's not well-hidden worry.

"I'm sure she'll be fine. She heals quick, remember?" Sam added. Dean nodded and gave a snarky 'yeah yeah'. Truthfully he had forgotten. He often forgot the implications of what she was - the hunger, the hearts, the instinctive drive to kill. It just didn't seem like... her. She just seemed too, well, human.

He never forgot she was a skinwalker - it was impossible to when she was constantly turning into a massive wolf in front of him. He just sometimes forgot what came with it.

Maybe it was because he just couldn't visualize it. He couldn't imagine her attacking anyone, or eating some animal's heart. It was strange really, considering he had seen her kill a man and nearly eat his heart.