A Wonderful World

"Trickster? Is that some sort of demon or something?"

Bobby chuckled, relieved that all the fighting had finally ceased. He hated seeing this group at each other's throats - they were a family, his family. It hurt to see them like that. "More like demigods, really. There's Loki in Scandinavia. There's Anansi in West Africa. Dozens of them. They're immortal, and they can create things out of thin air. Things as real as you and me. Make them vanish just as quick."

"You mean like an angry spirit or an alien or an alligator," Dean added, dropping back into his seat. His shoulders relaxed, losing some of their tension. I stifled the urge to place a comforting hand on his shoulder.

Bobby nodded along with Dean's words. "The victims fit the M.O., too. Tricksters target the high and the mighty, knock them down a peg, usually with a sense of humor – deadly pranks, things like that."

"What do they look like?" I questioned, my voice losing its previous tension but still holding a rasp.

"Lot's of things, but you and me mostly. Human," Bobby answered and pushed himself to his feet. "They've got a nasty sense of humor though - don't know of a single case that hasn't gotten messy. They've got a sweet tooth too, they're like insects. Thrive on sugar."

I stiffened, my lips parting in shock as Bobby continued with his explanation. "Holy shit," I murmured out and leaped away from the couch, scrambling for my jacket draped across a chair at the dining table. "Shit, shit, shit..."

When I spun to face the group, all eyes were on me, startled by my sudden movements. "The janitor!" I exclaimed with a triumphant smile. I reached into the pocket of my leather jacket and withdrew a now crushed red lollipop. "It's the janitor!"

"You kept that thing?" Dean asked with a grimace. I chucked the small candy across the room, narrowly missing him.

"It makes sense! He was always right there, by the crime scenes!" I cheered. We finally had something, we were finally making progress.

"She's right," Bobby replied with a hint of pride. "So far, everything you've told me about that janitor checks out. I'd start there."

---

The Trickster yawned as he opened the door for us, waving us into the building. "Sorry if I'm dragging today, guys. Had quite the night," he continued cheerfully, as he climbed the steps. He paused on the landing and turned to look over his shoulder at us. "Lots of sex, if you catch my drift."

I didn't miss the wink he sent my way.

Dean side-stepped, closing in beside Sam and blocking me from the Trickster's view. "Yeah, hard not to," he replied with a chuckle. It was forced, although anyone who didn't know him wouldn't notice. "We'll be out of your hair soon. Just gotta check a couple offices on three."

"No problem, man. Take all the time you need."

Sam suddenly halted on the steps and I nearly bumped into him. He patted his pockets hurriedly. "Ah, you know I think I forgot something in the truck. I'll catch up with you guys?"

The Trickster shrugged and waved him away before climbing the stairs again. I exhaled slowly, glad Sam's lie was convincing enough. We were not prepared for a confrontation with this thing.

I fell in step for step beside Dean as we climbed the flights and finally stopped at the third floor. The Trickster held the door open for us and offered us a quick wave before disappearing back down the steps.

"What now?" I asked with my back to Dean as the door settled back in the door frame, latching behind the Trickster.

"Now we act busy."