f o u r t e e n

Many weeks had past since the eventful day of the Gryffindor vs Hufflepuff Quidditch match. The steady patter of rain transforming into a gradual light snowfall, causing the Hogwarts grounds to be covered in a white blanket of snow. Christmas was approaching, Persephone's  favourite holiday at Hogwarts. 

Persephone was sat in the Great Hall, munching on a slice of jam toast as she watched Professor Flitwick levitate the baubles onto the large pine trees carried in by Hagrid only minutes before. Salem, her fat grey cat, rested lazily at her feet, not wanting to leave her side this morning. 

She felt a soft hand rub over her hair, and turned to see her father dressed in his usual black sweater, "Morning Pers" 

"Morning Dad!"

He smiled as he sat down next to her, pouring himself a glass of coffee from the large silver pitcher in the middle of the table before attempting to snatch a slice of Persephone's breakfast. She shooed his hand away affectionately which caused him to chuckle and reach for his own slice within the toast rack. 

"Persephone," he started after a large sip of coffee, "I have a proposition for you, but you can say no if you want."

Persephone nodded, "yeah Dad what's up?" 

"What do you think about Christmas at Hogwarts? Dumbledore has asked if I wanted to stay in case there's another issue with Black, but if you'd rather us go back to Brighton and have our usual Christmas that is also okay, it is entirely up to you." 

Persephone pondered the offer momentarily. She didn't know if any of her friends were staying but nodded anyways, she wanted Harry and Hogwarts to be as safe as possible over the break. 

"Yeah, sounds fun" 

Lupin smiled back at her, ruffling her hair jokingly. "That's a good girl, now, I have to go find a Boggart. See you after later Pers." 

She laughed lightly as she watched him leave the rather empty hall. Just as he left, Augustus, Klara and Cedric made their way through the large wooden doorway. 

"I love Christmas at Hogwarts" Persephone almost moaned as she sat down next to Persephone, picking up a large blueberry muffin. 

Cedric and Augustus sat across from her, causing her to smile at them warmly. 

Cedric and Persephone had never spoken about the event that  occurred following their Quiditch victory a few weeks prior. The cone of silence that followed them the next day soon fizzled away, leaving Persephone very relieved. She knew they should of spoken about it, but it was too late, the moment had gone. 

Augustus on the other hand, was still not in Persephone's good graces. Still extremely confused on his reasoning for launching a bludger at Fred for no apparent reason, Persephone had forgiven, but was yet to forget his actions. 

"Sprout is asking who's staying over Christmas" said Cedric as he buttered his toast, "are any of you staying?" 

"Dad's taking us to France I think" Klara said. 

"It's Mum's birthday so I definitely will be" 

Persephone gave a sad smile, "Dumbledore asked Dad to stay, he let me make the decision so we are staying." 

The group let out a collective groan, "You can't stay by yourself!" 

"At least the food will be better then when Dad tries to cook" joked Persephone halfheartedly. 

+ + + 

Persephone was glad to be contained within the quiet and warm library following her solo trip to Hogesmede. She looked down at the bags next to her, all containing presents for her friends. A large box of Caramel Cobwebs and Sugar Quills for Augustus, a new black denim skirt for Klara (that she planned to charm in order to get extended pockets), a broom servicing kit for Cedric, and a new pair of soft blue pajamas for her Father - who thought there was nothing better in the world then receiving warm pj's at Christmas.

 Walking up and down the streets of Hogesmede, Persephone was taunted with the thought of the Weasley twins. She had gotten rather close to the pair over the last few months, one quite a lot more than the other. Rather speculative, she brought them a large box of Dr Filibuster's Fabulous Wet-Start, No-Heat Fireworks from Zonko's - a place she generally avoided. 

Despite this, while she was in Gladrags shopping for Klara, she came across a rope bracelet. it was thin, simple and black with a silver fastener, but immediately the thought of Fred engulfed her. Rather hesitant, she placed it on the counter along with the skirt. At least if she chickened out and decided not to gift it, she could always return it. 

She pulled a roll of Christmas themed paper from one of the bags, and started to wrap her presents. 

"I know a spell for that, if you'd like" spoke a soft voice from behind her.

Persephone turned around, her eyes reaching those of Hermione Granger. 

Smiling lightly, she shook her head. "I like doing it the muggle way - more sincere. You're welcome to sit though!"

Placing her large pile of books down on the bench, Hermione pulled out the chair and sat down next to the older girl. "I can help if you'd like" 

"Only if you want to?" 

"I'd love to."

Soon enough, a pile of neatly wrapped presents piled next to her; wrapped in bright red  wrapping paper and tied with sparkling gold ribbon. 

With one last knot of a bow, Hermione handed over the last and smallest of the presents, to which Persephone attached the gift tag labelled 'Fred' in her loopy cursive. 

"Fred Weasley, huh?" giggled Hermione, leaning down to pick up her pumpkin coloured fluffy cat.  

Persephone felt her cheeks turn red. "We're just friends..."

She heard an amused scoff. 

"I saw you the other week, from the window at the hospital wing, kissing your friend down at the Whomping Willow." 

Persephone looked up quickly, turning to face the girl. "It - it wasn't what it looked like, not at all!" 

"Oh no, don't get me wrong! I'm not accusing you of anything. My best and pretty much only friends  are boys, I know how confusing it is." 

Persephone sighed loudly, "yeah it can be a challenge." 

"Fred's nice though," Hermione started as she began to stack up her books and parchment, standing to her feet, "him and George both have this exterior, but deep down, they have hearts made of gold."

"They're, something else that's for sure" muttered Persephone.

+ + + 

hi I apologise for how long it took to get this chapter out, especially since its not my best! my laptop pooped itself, meaning I had to write this on my phone and I wasn't loving it.

i'm hoping all of you are staying safe in this really scary time! I know it's hard to do, but make sure to look after yourself and your close ones during this time. keep smiling, check on your friends, practice self care, use this time to love yourself a lil more x

I was wondering if you all would be interested in a marauders / remus fic?? I could do the 'backstory' of Persephone's parents, or just start a new story completely fresh? Just let me know what you all think. 

ALSO WOW THANK YOU FOR 20K!! hate to conform to any cliches but I didn't expect 1000 reads let alone 20 000. you guys all mean the world to me, and I feel constantly blown away with your support. 

keep up those comments & messages though because they really do make my day and I love hearing from you! on that note I want to start doing little questions and answers at the end of each chapter, so please comment your answers, i'd love to start getting to know some of you more. 

question: what's your house? 

answer: hufflepuff 

stay safe & stay snazzy,

tilda xx