⠀⠀⠀ III. A DUTY OF THEIR OWN

— OUTER RIM TERRITORIES

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀ IF YOU ARE VERY QUIET, YOU CAN HEAR THE SECRETS BEING WHISPERED BY THE SEA. Milada Skepsza stood on a high cliff, the waves harshly crashed on the crag under her feet as the ocean raged before her eyes.

The princess's days were busy and she would always wait for the days she had to wake up to nothing but the faint crushes of the waves outside the castle. Milada loved spending her time admiring the sea before her eyes and would do anything to keep it that way.

Obi Wan woke up before the princess that morning, cherishing her under the golden light. He stood next to her bed, not wanting to wake her up as her face was nothing but peace and beauty. Milada fell asleep not long after their conversation the previous night, her head gently fell to the Jedi's shoulder as he felt her fragile body relax onto him.

His immediate reaction was to hold her, close to himself as possible, cherishing the feel of her against him once again. His cerulean eyes danced around her face as he lifter her, slowly carrying her to the bed in her chambers. The Jedi placed her gently on the bed, pulling the silk cover over her and quietly making his way to the small settee before the bed.

She was beautiful. Obi Wan repeated that over in his head once again, admiring the woman under the moonlight, watching her skin gently faint to her pallid state. Yet, he loved how beautiful her skin was when it was shining teal, reminding him of the bonny ocean of Gala.

Milada did not remember the events of last night, nor the warmth of Obi Wan as he held her close to him. She woke up alone, not a sign of the Jedi Master and immediately ran to the balcone, allowing herself to be completely seduced by the morning breeze.

Running down the stairs to the gate, not bothering to change her attire, she wanted nothing but to lay her eyes on the ocean. It would always call her, lure, wanting to absorb her and she would not mind that.

Obi Wan left early in the morning, he had to contact the Jedi Council and wait for further advice, which he did not receive. He glanced down at his lightsaber on his belt once the hologram disappeared of Mace Windu, head clouded with thoughts once again.

He sighed and waited for another man to contact him this morning, kneeling as soon as the image of a man in the cloak appeared, face hooded. But you can see the ridges on it, showing how old the man is and what he might've encountered during his lifetime.

"Very well, my apprentice," the man rasped, voice sinister, "have you visited Kamino?"

"No, my lord," Obi Wan was still on his knees, head down, "King Skepsza would not want to negotiate further on the topic of an alliance with our future Empire,"

The man stayed silent but the Jedi could feel the displeasure in the Force from him, choosing to keep his head low and wait patiently for any further orders. His master was a wise man, he was proud of himself for being able to call himself his apprentice, learning more about the dark ways of the Force — powerful for any Jedi to ever imagine.

"Do not delay the visit to Kamino, it is a very important step to consolidating our power," he emphasised 'our' to show his apprentice that he is one of the pivots in this war.

"Yes, Master," Obi Wan nodded and the hologram disappeared once again.

He rose to his feet and looked around, examining the cave he was in, deep within the forests of Gala, away from Milada. His heart ached at the thought of not being able to see her once the ceremony takes place and that he will have to spend the rest of his life serving his Master. He wanted the power, but he also wanted Milada.

Taking a deep breath, he made his way out and was immediately greeted with a sight of the ocean peeking through the giant trees. Walking to the cliff, he saw a figure in a distance and recognised the princess. Obi Wan was aware that she would always come to that hill on her free days and that she would always look at the horizon before her eyes.

He admired her from afar, her dress hugged her gentle form due to the wind blowing in her face, eyes closed as she held a smile and her skin flowed with a gentle blue.

Walking at the edge, still hidden behind the trees, Obi Wan made his way to the princess. His heart quickening its pace as he thought of being able to hold her close to him once again.

Milada heard leaves rustling behind her and averted her attention to where the sound came from but was greeted with the Jedi Master she hopelessly loved, smiling at him warmly as he returned the gesture.

"My princess," Obi Wan took her hand in his as soon as he was close to her, "you look stunning, as always,"

Milada felt her face heat up as the Jedi's eyes examined her face once again, as if it has been his first time ever seeing her. No one would've blamed Obi Wan — every time he would see her, he felt as if it is the first. Smiling warmly at her, he pressed a soft kiss behind the hand he held and saw the princess smile even wider.

"Master Kenobi," she began, "always following me," she playfully teased.

"Always luring me to yourself, princess," Obi Wan softly said, his gaze never leaving the purple eyes of the woman stood before him.

Milada chuckled and looked back at the ocean, admiring the waves once again. She loved the man deeply but knew that they would never be together again after the ceremony and her coronation, she knew that he would leave her after everything will be done. Yet, she didn't cry, she wouldn't. She knew that nothing is forever and some day she will lose all she ever loved.

"Milada,"

She turned back to the Jedi, the wind blowing her hair around as she hummed, waiting for him to continue.

"I have to leave for a day,"

Oh how much it pained him to say this, but he needed to leave Gala. Of course it would be only for a day but he hated the idea of leaving his princess alone. He saw pain in her eyes and sensed it through the Force as she smiled again.

"It's alright, I understand," Milada knew it was something to do with the Jedi Council and she accepted that as it would've been very selfish of her to keep the man who swore his life to the study of the Force to abandon it for a simple princess of an isolated planet.

Obi Wan nodded and turned around, leaving the princess alone without any other word. Her lavender eyes followed his form as he disappeared further towards the city, mind screaming for him to come back already, but she had to wait.