⠀⠀⠀ XVII. GEONOSIS

— OUTER RIM TERRITORIES & DEEP CORE

⠀⠀⠀ HE WAS A FOOL. Obi Wan Kenobi was a fool.

Leaving the one he truly loved behind like that was something a cretin would do. He broke her. And he did not regret it as much as he should have.

Obi Wan looks out toward Geonosis and spots in the distance a large fleet of Trade Federation Ships hidden among the asteroids. What can they possibly do here? Without further hesitation, he starts the engines of his fighter and it moves out from the back side of the asteroid and heads away from the asteroid field, descending towards the planet of Geonosis.

His ship skims across the top of a small mesa along the edge of a rocky ridge. Manoeuvring under a rock overhang and lands. The planet of Geonesis was a red rock planet, featureless apart from the buttes and mesas and some occasional tall stalagmites that stood out dramatically on the arid plains of the planet's crust. Landing on one of the mesas, he gets out of the Fighter and walks out to examine his surroundings.

The wind whips at him, his robes rising behind him due to the breeze. He looks around. The night is quiet, except for an occasional unknown cries. Probably some native creature, he thought and climbs a steep, narrow rock trail. Suddenly, the same cry is heard close by and Obi-Wan stumbles slightly. His foot slips on the edge, sending a stream of pebbles skittering into the darkness. He freezes, grabbing the rocky wall to his left and listens.

Silence. It was alarming.

He draws his lightsaber but does not ignite it, careful. After a few minutes of observing his surroundings, he sets off again and works his way around a narrow corner, but to his luck, the Jedi Master was met with a crouching massiff with slavering fangs, huge and furious.

The beast leaps at him, and Obi Wan finally ignites his lightsaber as the massiff knocks him on his back. The Jedi groans at the contact with the ground and the creature approaches him, jaws wide open and claws sharp. Before anything else can happen, Obi Wan stabs the creature in its wide chest, throws it off of him, and jumps up as it falls limp, its spit over the sand and rocks.

All of a sudden, a second massif jumps from behind. The Jedi Master swings around and cuts it in half before it can get to him. The huge massiff flies over the cliff, howling in agony. It plummets to its death hundreds of feet below as Obi Wan's wide eyes follow it into the abyss.

He finally arrives at the head of the trail. Far below, a flat plain stretches into the distance. He stops, peering into the darkness, where strange shapes loom indistinctly. From his robes, hidden, he takes a pair of electronic binoculars from his belt and puts them to his eyes. His breath stops as he sees a cluster of great towers like fantastic stalagmites rise from the plain below him. What could that possibly be?

He slowly turns around with the binoculars in his hands and suddenly a line of Battle Starships come into view. A small gasp escapes his mouth and Obi Wan immediately touches the viewfinder. Between fifty and a hundred Federation Starships in near rows lay before his eyes. Some are on platforms that are carrying the Starships diwn to an underground facility while other platforms are rising to the surface. They carry thousands of battle droids that step off and file into the waiting ships before a fully loaded Starship takes off the planet as the rest still load.