⠀⠀⠀ XI. HE IS A HONEST MAN, HE KEEPS HIS PROMISES

— OUTER RIM TERRITORIES

⠀⠀⠀ THERE WAS ALWAYS THE TIME WHERE WE WERE CAUGHT IN OUR OWN FIB. This is where Milada had found herself in now — caught in a lie she had created herself after Obi Wan Kenobi left Gala.

And Obi Wan Kenobi now stood before her, eyes filled with betrayal and hurt as his eyebrow was raised expectedly. He felt his chest tighten even more as his mind was elsewhere, nostalgic of the night the two shared on the G'alasti celebration. The tranquil state the two were in was now replaced by a nervy atmosphere.

Saying anything further for Obi Wan meant that he will only make it worse, thus he waited patiently for the princess to answer the rhetorical question if she dare, if not, then he was prepared to hear what else she might have to say.

Milada stood frozen, many thoughts rushed through her mind as her widened eyes roamed around the Jedi's tense form sat on a chair. He didn't change, his long auburn hair still reached his shoulders and was still neatly made back as his beard decorated his handsome as ever face.

She let out a sigh after what seemed like ages, sitting back down on the bed, attention now on her delicate fingers on her lap, "no, I won't," her voice didn't break as she expected and she felt a bit of pride.

Obi Wan stayed silent, sensing that she has other things to say, "I believe that you have more to say," he gently said, implicitly requesting for her to speak more.

"Me and Dana did have an affair," she admitted, "I was lacking a man's warmth and assumed he was able to give it to me, but soon learnt that he loved me for my status,"

The sad truth. Obi Wan knew she wasn't lying to him now. It made sense why a man like Dana would try and win over a princess, aiming for a higher position and a title which would gain him authority in future. But Milada? He was disappointed in her blindness at the start and how her desires caused her to be so oblivious. The Jedi was not furious with her, nor he felt the need to treat her any different — he loved her.

"I'm deeply sorry, Milada," he finally began, speaking of why he came to her, "but I have to return with you to Galu,"

She tensed and looked at the Jedi Master, eyes wide and skin becoming a faint blue colour, "w-what?"

"I made a promise to Jyu Poal, the new king of Gala," he explained. As much as it pained him to admit what he had done, he still had to as he was a honest man. Or was he?

The princess could not believe in what the Jedi had told her. He promised a Phindian invader to bring her to him? Force knows what he can do to her and yet Obi Wan decided to agree to give her to another man's hands?

"I'm not going," she began, "return alone and tell him you failed to find me, I do not wish to return with you to Galu,"

Just as he expected. He knew she would refuse to return with him, but promise is a promise. Thus he made a decision he knew he would regret.

Standing up and slowly walking towards the Galacian princess, he gathered all of his strength needed before timidly kneeling down and without any further thoughts pressed his lips to hers. Her eyes went wide at the sudden touch but soon relaxed and she found herself returning the kiss eagerly, her hands going around his neck and pulling him closer to her. Oh, Maker, she truly missed the Jedi.

His hands held her shoulders before the left one made its way up her neck and to her jaw, pulling her closer before pulling away to breathe a gentle and a genuine, "I'm sorry," and his left hand made contact with her forehead as she fell wea into his arms. She didn't have time to process anything as she was focused on the feeling of Obi Wan's hold, thus she did not have time to even register him draining her as she had been feeling numb for few days anyway.

Obi Wan held the unconscious princess in his arms gently, admiring her beauty while she was relaxed. But guilt began to make itself known and he glanced to the door as Elan walked in, concern written over her features. Obi Wan stood up, holding Milada bridal style with her hand rested above his heart, hands limp on her side.

"What—"

"I need to return her to Galu," he interrupted Elan before she had time to ask, "I knew she wouldn't return willingly,"

"She is safe here, Obi Wan," Elan noted, "are Phindians searching for her?" She already knew the answer to this question but she needed to hear the Jedi say it.

He sighed, "yes," he looked back at Milada's innocent face, "I promised to bring her back,"

"You didn't change," the Hill people's leader whispered, face softening, "you always kept your promises, regardless of whether they were made to good or bad people,"

"Some call me a honest man for that," he chuckled, looking at Elan who approached him now, placing her hand on his shoulder.

"You are a honest man, Master Kenobi," she smiled reassuringly to the Jedi, "and I hope you do have a plan in your mind,"

He smirked, "I always have a plan, Elan,"

Elan nodded and stepped aside, allowing Obi Wan to walk out of the cramped room and take Milada away with him. If she was honest about how she felt, she would've openly told him to not leave as she enjoyed the princess's company despite having tense relations with her and a feeling of hatred for what her father had done but she was not like him and Elan realised it too late.

"Obi Wan," she called out after they were in a corridor and he was by the entrance to the cave. He turned around and raised his brow.

"May the Force be with you," she smiled tenderly at the Jedi.

Without any further words, he stepped into the shadows, holding Milada close and walking back out to the streets where he left his speeder. Feeling Elan's eyes follow him as he disappeared in the darkness, Obi Wan felt more guilt for what he was doing, but seeing no other way in getting the princess to go with him and return to Galu — he had no choice. And a faint disturbance in the Force he felt while walking in the dark, relying on his instincts, did not make his current state any better.