009. murphy's law

CHAPTER 9,
( murphy's law. )

     The days that passed since Ava and Murphy's last encounter were chaotic

The days that passed since Ava and Murphy's last encounter were chaotic. Though Jasper lived to see another day, Murphy had no shame in attempting to end his life one night in the dropship. Thankfully, Octavia and Ava were able to seal the hatch with a broken pipe with the help of Monty as Murphy screamed, "I'm gonna kill that kid! Let me in!" Though Ava was disgusted by his persistence to kill Jasper, she was grateful that the goggle-wearing boy was safe. However, not everyone was as lucky as Jasper.

When Bellamy's group was out hunting through the forest, a deadly acid-fog invaded and settled for the night. Though it had subsided by the morning, Atom was left covered in gruesome blisters and wounds. He was begging for Bellamy to kill him. Apparently, Clarke was the one to make the tough decision, sliding a knife into his neck to put him out of his misery. To say that Octavia was heartbroken would be an understatement.

Ava played the events of the last few days over and over in her head, wondering how everything had turned to shit so quickly. She tried to make sense of it, pondering how those incidents could have possibly led to this. This was different. One of the 100 had been murdered.

Wells had been murdered.

Ava stood silently behind Clarke, who was kneeling down in the dirt in front of Wells' grave. Her heart ached for the both of them. She knew of their complicated past, but knew that deep down, Clarke still cared for her once best friend. And Wells — poor Wells — did not deserve what was his fate. He was a good guy; honorable, kindhearted, honest. Who would do such a thing?

Hesitantly, Ava walked forward until she was beside the girl Bellamy nicknamed 'Princess.' Bending down, her knees sunk into the dirt next to Clarke's. Small, purple flowers lay on the dirt-mound that covered Wells' body. Ava cleared her throat, keeping her eyes on the delicate flowers. "I'm really sorry, Clarke. I know how much he meant to you."

Clarke didn't move or make a sound; she continued to just stare at the mound of dirt in front of them. Ava wanted to say something — anything — to comfort her more, but figured that she just wanted to be left alone. Glancing once more at Wells' grave, she rose to her feet and began to walk away.

"Thank you, Ava," Clarke's raspy voice spoke up, barely audible. Turning her head to look at the distressed blonde once more, Ava nodded lightly before heading back into camp.

As Ava entered the camp, she heard an infuriated yell come from one of the delinquents. "What the hell is wrong with you, Murphy?"

Her frantic blue eyes finally detected the sudden uproar. She watched as a boy from Bellamy's group, Connor, lunged at Murphy, managing to shove him roughly before a few boys grabbed a hold of him. "I'll kill you!"