011. art supply shop

CHAPTER 11,
(   art supply shop. )

    The night sky was clear besides the bright lights that shined down upon the 100 — beautiful — like a pile of glistening moon dust that had split its way across the midnight sky

The night sky was clear besides the bright lights that shined down upon the 100 — beautiful — like a pile of glistening moon dust that had split its way across the midnight sky. The blazing lights soared through the moonlit skies, seizing the attention of each and every one of the delinquents as they craned their necks in awe. Gazing intently at the sudden array of lights, Ava wondered if she would ever see something as captivating as this.

As she gazed at the luminous sky, she reflected on the chaotic events from the past few days and pondered the whereabouts and wellbeing of a certain banished boy. She couldn't imagine how scared he must be; all alone in unknown territory with danger lurking amongst the shadows. Was he still alive? Ava hated to admit it, but camp felt ... different without Murphy around. She no longer had someone pestering or teasing her — and oddly enough, she missed it.

She was snapped out of her deep reverie when Bellamy Blake moved to stand beside her, glancing down at her fleetingly before turning his attention to the sky. "Got any idea what that is?"

She shook her head. "No clue. Meteor shower, maybe?"

He hummed in response, his eyebrows furrowing as he continued to stare up into the beaming night sky.

"They didn't work." A sudden unidentifiable voice spoke up. Turning her head towards the voice, Ava realized that it was Raven — the girl who had just arrived to Earth, descending towards the planet in a century-old refurbished escape pod. Ava admired her bravery, secretly envious that she was not nearly as courageous. "They didn't see the flares."

The flares. Ava had forgotten all about the flares that they'd sent blaring into the sky in hopes that the Ark would see them; in hopes that the Ark would know they were alive; in hopes that the Ark wouldn't resort to sacrificing 300 innocent lives.

"A meteor shower tells you that?" Bellamy asked.

"It's not a meteor shower — it's a funeral." Clarke uttered, her voice strangled as her eyes brimmed with tears that threatened to spill. "Hundreds of bodies being returned to the Earth from the Ark. This is what it looks like from the other side." Her words struck the teenagers, murmurs of disbelief and sorrow permeating through the crowd. "They didn't get our message."

Raven pushed passed Clarke and Finn, bounding towards the Blake boy responsible for the culling. "This is all because of you!"

"I helped you find the radio!" Bellamy barked in defense, glowering at the girl who was being held back by Finn.

"Yeah, after you jacked it from my pod and trashed it!" Raven spat rancorously.