Chapter 20: Stay High

*ANAHI'S POV *

It's two in the afternoon and I haven't gotten out of bed yet. My mother still isn't here and Kyle is who the hell knows. Not like I care.

RING RING

My phone began to ring, causing me to flinch. It's the closest thing to a sound I heard all morning, besides the pitter patter of the rain outside. I didn't want anyone. I just want to be alone.

RING RING

It rang again. While groaning I grabbed it off my table. Not bothering to check who it is, I answered. "Hello?" I spoke into the phone with my raspy voice.

"What the hell did you do to Kellin?!" I heard through the speaker. I checked the caller ID and saw it was Jack.

"What are you talking about?" I asked

"Kellin won't answer his phone. And I can't go over there cause I'm at the airport. Is he there with you?" He asked

"No." I paused. "Are you leaving town?" I asked, no emotion in my voice.

"No. I'm picking up my grandma. Where's Kellin?" He asked

"Next door Maybe." I said

"Well go check on him! What happened last night? He's been talking about the dance all month and he hasn't said a word of the night." He asked frantically.

"Nothing happened." I said quietly, staring at nothing.

I didn't hear anything for a second. "Look I understand if you don't wanna tell me since it's none of my business but Kellin is my best friend. He's been there for me since the third grade. He was the only one who stood up for me when I was being bullied during second grade. He chose to sit next to me during lunch when no one would even give me a second look. I've seen him been torn up by a girl and I'm not gonna let it happen again. Don't blow him off like he's nothing."

"Okay... I'll... I'll go check on him." I said and got off my bed slowly, making my way to the front door after making myself look presentable.

"Good. Keep me on line." Jack said.

I walked slowly to his house, the cool small amount of rain awakening me and freshening my warm body. With my shaky hands I knocked on the door but no one answered. I knocked twice, a little louder this time. Not an answer. Something grew in my throat as I quietly opened the door. Surprisingly, it was unlocked. I made my way up to his room after checking every other room in the house. Over the past few months we've slowly trusted each other with everything. He comes into my house when he pleases, I come into his when I please.

I heard a faint cough so I followed it. Then guitar strings. I slowly crept behind his half shut door. It was Kellin with his guitar. He never told me he played. He's so secretive and mysterious. I sense there's things he hasn't told me, things of his past.

He bent down from his bed and wrote something down on a notebook, his back to the door. He was still in his suit from last night but wasn't wearing his jacket and his shoes were off. His hair was messy and some things in his room were on the floor like if they were purposely knocked off.

Does anyone have an idea how bad I just want to run to him and kiss him and tell him how much I love him?

He took a deep breath, causing a sting in my broken heart. I bit my lower lip, trying to gather enough courage to say something to him. Holding my breath, I opened my mouth but was quickly closed by a beautiful melody echoing all over the room.

'Well I'm so tired of the rain falling softly on the ground,
Just enough to get my feet wet but not enough to let me drown.
I've been laying in my bed wishing I had never woken,
Begging god to rid my head of every word you've ever spoken.
Broke my knuckles on the wall because I thought about the call
Where you said you'd always love me, do you not tell the truth at all?
Well if I ever cross your mind, make sure you write down the times
So I will know the moments I was eating you alive.'