04 : Trial of the Blade

"Really?" I muttered as Farallon readied the boat.

"That's the rule, kid," he said. "You can't communicate with others within the island."

I let out a sigh as I stepped on the raft. Farallon started pushing it toward the sea and before I knew it, Shima had already been shrouded in fog and mist. I was left alone in the middle of the sea and I realized there was a brewing storm nearby.

"Damn it," I muttered while getting the device the Commander gave me.

Feeding in the codes, a call suddenly registered and after a few seconds, Commander Priam's voice could be heard on the other side of the line.

"Naia," he greeted. "Good to hear from you. What happened?"

"The criminals have been transferred successfully, Commander," I reported. "Also, one of the Executioners said he knows where Dale and Zeno are. However, in exchange of the information, you must turnover them here for their punishment."

There were several seconds of silence on his end, as if he was contemplating whether to entertain their idea or rely solely on his Executives. I heard him breathe out and finally gave an order.

"I'd like to know the details."

"Roger that, Commander."

He ended the call and a second after that, the raft was pulled into the fog. The island and Farallon came into view and he hauled the raft to the forest.

We walked back to the inland and Shira and Hyora greeted me. Farallon still couldn't believe that those beasts could still remember me and I was the only one that could cuddle them.

"I heard you went to the blood chamber with Aristus," he said and my body almost trembled when I remembered what happened there.

"Yeah. It was like coming back from hell."

He snickered. "Right. Remember when you first went there? Vince had to get you away from that place because it triggered your eyes."

The mention of his name made those memories resurface. I remembered sneaking out from the shack to follow Vince and Lionel who were escorting the new prisoners. Ise said I wasn't allowed to be in the blood chamber because I was still too young and weak, but I wanted to see it. Besides, I admire both Vince and Lionel, even vowing to be their apprentice, but they both dismissed me.

Fortunately, Ise had already taught me how to conceal my presence and both of their attention were on the criminals so it was quite easy for me to follow. I thought I was doing a good job, until something happened.

I heard voices, several of them, crying and howling in agony and pain. My head felt like it would burst any minute. When I was in the island, I never heard those voices that loud but upon stepping onto the blood chamber, I realized why they never allowed those who hadn't trained yet.

It slowed me down but I thought I could control my mind. However, something made it much more complicated.

One of the prisoners they were escorting hid a knife under his footwear and pretended to tumble. The next thing I knew, he was already grinning menacingly at my direction. Everything happened so fast that I only realized my situation when I was already held by my neck.

As a kid, I was beyond terrified. The prisoner took me as a hostage. My neck was pressed between his chest and arms as my body dangled. The tip of the knife was digging through my cheeks and blood began to trickle down my face.

I was terrified and I felt something was changing in my mind and body. Colors flickered in my irises and I saw a lot of people getting slaughtered and skinned by the knife that was poking me.