10 : Home

For four days, we just rowed and rowed until our hands got sore. Nel was grumbling at Cliff and Jett because they get hungry every hour and our supplies were getting depleted. She ordered them to catch some fish though I wasn't sure how they would do that without any equipment.

She lay down beside me and heaved a deep sigh.

"Mentally draining, isn't it?" I said while inspecting my sword.

"I can't even imagine how I'm going to survive if I'm alone. How do you even do it?"

I shrugged. "I'm used to it."

She looked tired and the bags under her eyes were getting more noticeable. I was about to tell her to rest since she was up all night but the hair on my nape bristled. The temperature suddenly dropped and the sky turned gray. A swirl of mist and thick fog enveloped our surroundings, obscuring our vision. Each of them assumed a defensive stance, their weapons ready.

"W-what's happening?" she asked.

I stood at the front of the raft. "We're here."

As soon as I said those words, a smaller raft appeared and got wafted to our direction. I turned to them and smiled.

"Sorry. I'm the only one who can go inside."

"But—"

"It's okay," I said, reassuring them. "Just wait for me here."

"How long should we wait?" asked Cliff.

"Until I return. Don't do anything. Don't look for me. Just stay here and wait."

"And if we do something?"

I stared at Jett and smirked. "You'd be dead before you can do anything. This place is uncompromising so you better stay still. I don't want my friends dying here with me."

Before they could ask or complain, I hopped on the smaller raft and it pulled me to the thickest swirl of fog. I could feel the chills crawling onto my skin and I had to keep myself from shivering. The menacing aura was way more intense and blood-chilling than the last time.

The fog started to dissipate and I saw Farallon standing on the shore. I waded ashore and sighed in relief when I spotted Shira and Hyora a few meters behind him.

"Why are you here again?" asked Farallon who seemed displeased with my presence.

"I have a delivery," I retorted. "Kind of grand prize material."

That made him relax for a bit.

Shira and Hyora snuggled up against me. Hyora tugged my shirt with his fangs and turned to his back.

"You want me to ride you?" I asked and she purred in response.

Farallon huffed. "Why are they only friendly to you?"

I chuckled. "Jealous?"

"Shut your mouth, Naia."

"Oops. Sorry."

I hopped onto Hyora's back while Shira and Farallon walked beside us. We treaded through the poisonous forest and the stone path until we reached the village. Kyo stood in the middle of the barren land with a scowl on his face. I winced when I saw his expression. He was already intimidating when he was smiling but his presence this time almost made me quiver.

"Why are you here, kid?" he asked in a disgruntled tone.

I had to choke back the creeping fear on my throat. "Uhh . . . more prisoners," I responded. "Heads of the Nox Organization."