Worth Every Penny

Feburary, 1941

"Peter, get the door!" Helen Pevensie's voice called from her bedroom.

"Yes, Mum!" She heard as reply, but what she didn't hear was her eldest stand from a chess game with his brother and say, "It feels odd to have to open our own door."

"It's a shame Aslan couldn't have sent some of the Faun Guards to open them for us. Then again, maybe guards aren't all necessary in Finchley." Edmund mock-pondered, earning a scowl from his elder brother as he left the room.

Peter had expected Mrs. Tarth or the Postman or the milkman wanting his dues, but it was none of them.

Instead, braids neater than he remembered them, face more matured than he thought possible in a year and with a small suitcase at her side, stood his best friend.

"You look as if you've seen a ghost." The redhead laughed slightly, waving a hand in front of his face, "It's good to see you, too, Peter." She added sarcastically.

"I- no, yes! It's good to see you, too! But you never mentioned in a letter that you were coming."

It had been a full year since Lilith had been back to Finchley. She hadn't any reason to come back before now- her family here was gone, and all her friends had been evacuated.

But the Pevensies were back, and with how Peter's letters had been the past few months, she was concerned about him.

"Yes, well, surprise!"

Peter could only smile, pulling her into an embrace.

"I missed you. So, so much."

"I missed you, too. My Auntie's bordering insane, I swear."

"You must get along great, then." Peter mused once he'd realised he was now a head taller than her, once they'd pulled away and once he'd picked up her suitcase.

"I'm only here until Tuesday," She told him, entering the Pevensies', "so you best make my time here worth it."

"Ed got a new chess set," He began to list, setting her case down and filling the kettle, "Su has a new record player, I take it you're still into your dancing? Oh, and Lucy's taken up drawing- so clearly your trip will be the best one you've ever been on. How much more exciting could we be?"

Lilith laughed slightly, "Then the trip was worth every penny."

~

"You've grown." She spoke once she'd briefly met with the other Pevensies and finished her tea with Peter.

"Well, so have you."

"I know, but-" she got to her feet and tugged him up too before circling him, "You're different... really different."

Peter watched her, amused, "I've no idea what you're talking about, I'm only a year older."

"Tell me about Narnia."

"I- what?" Peter's eyes couldn't have been wider. He'd never told her- never told anyone- all his siblings had promised not to-

"You'd began to write it on one of your letters," She spoke, now stationary in front of him, "and scribbled it out- I turned the letter over and made out the marks in the paper. You've always pressed hard when you write. You should know you can't keep anything from someone as detective-material as me. I'm practically Sherlock Holmes. Now tell me, I want to know."

"It's just a game we played."

Lilith raised an eyebrow, "Then let me play."

"I can't."

"Why?"

"You're impossible." Peter spoke, shaking his head.

There was a moment where she only smiled and shrugged at him. With a regretful glance to where his siblings would be upstairs, he grabbed his coat, took her hand, closed the front door behind them and her down the path in search of privacy to tell her of exactly how he became a High King and exactly what it was like to rule a magic land.