Call me next Tuesday

20th September 1942

"Peter." Lilith spoke firmly, tugging her best friend down the street, "I've to get the next train home, I won't get to be back for months and you're spending this time arguing with a shop keeper!"

"You heard what he said, Lil!"

"He had the right to say so!"

"He was patronising!"

"You're insufferable." The redhead decided, she didn't give a toss if he'd ruled a magic land for centuries or a week, he'd turned into nothing but a prat the last year and she was sick of it. "What happened to you?"

"What's that supposed to mean?" Peter fired back, neither of the teens now caring about the passers-by.

"You know full well! Susan's told you constantly- listen to her! You've been an arse! You used to be so sweet and- you're not- I-" Lilith could only let out a frustrated 'ugh'. "I'm going. I can hear my train pulling in."

"Wait, no. Don't go-" Peter spoke quickly, attempting to grab her wrist, in which she snatched back, "I'm sorry. Lil, I want to talk to you-"

"Then don't forget to write to me this time." She spoke pointedly, taking her cases he'd been carrying.

"I shan't- I'm sorry, there was a lot of school work-"

"And fights, according to Susan." Lilith shot back, "You've got to stop, Peter. I know you miss that Narnia but it's gone, it's in the past- don't push things that haven't left you- yet."

"Lilith," the blond tried gentler, guilt heavier than his crown had ever been, "I'd never push you away. Please, you can get the next train- I want to ask you-"

"You'll be late for school and I'm not waiting until this evening for the next train, Peter." She paused, frustration growing as the train blew its whistle "I'm sorry, I have to go-"

"Lil-"

"You're my best friend and if you want it to stay that way, you have to promise me you won't keep fighting. Rise above it, you were King! A High King, so you tell me!"

"You used to argue and fight way more before your-" Seeing he was digging himself into a deeper hole, he diverted, "I promise I'll try. But Lil-"

"Whatever it is," She told him quickly, "You'll have to write it to me. Or call me next Tuesday at 4."

"I don't want to wait until Tuesday! It's be best if I-"

"Say 'bye' to the others for me- and don't be late for school! I'll see you in a few months, hopefully." Lilith told him finally, pressing a kiss to his cheek. "No fighting." She added quickly before climbing onto the train.

"But Lil-" Peter shouted over the noise of the train, "I wanted to ask you if you'd-"

"Write!" Lilith could only shout from the window, unable to hear the blond properly before she waved. "See you!"

Peter waved back, taking a defeated breath. If he hadn't argued over a newspaper at the corner shop, he'd had had chance to ask her and perhaps now, he wouldn't be waving to a girl who was only his best friend.

Once the train was gone, he shoved his hands in his pockets, turning until-

"Watch it, Pevensie!"

"Shove off, Tucker." Peter grumbled, but the boy wasn't having it. Not in front of his friends.

"I reckon you ought to apologise."

"I'm not in the mood today." Peter spoke bluntly, reciting the promise he'd just made in his head.

"Apologise, Pevensie!"

Just- keep- walking-

"You're being a public disturbance now, Pevensie!"

Keep- walking-

"Your brother's in my cousin's year, don't make me-"

"Make you what?" Peter asked, spinning to face Tucker with darkened eyes.

"Teach one of you some manners."

Peter did, indeed, throw the first punch.