I'm Romantic!

6th July 1947

"Oh, only months from now and both of our boy's will've graduated!" Helen's smile was beatific as she turned to her husband, who was sat beside her. "Isn't that wonderful? A Doctor and now a Lawyer, too!"

"It's great, love." Frank nodded, "Lucy, could you pass the salt?"

"Yes, Dad."

"Pete got a Graduation cake, and I get a 'it's great'? As a near-qualified Lawyer, I can tell you that's pretty unjust, Dad."

"It's because I'm a better son." Peter teased from across the table, taking another bite of a chicken. It had been months since he'd moved out with Lilith- he'd loved every moment of it, but that didn't mean he didn't missed his Mother's cooking.

"You know that's not true." Helen reassured her youngest son, who only gave her a mock-glare and near inhaled a potato.

"It's because Peter suggests getting together more." Lucy spoke up, "It's such a shame Susan couldn't make it..."

"Where is Susan?" Lilith asked from where she was sat beside Peter.

"She's still in America with Harry."

Edmund frowned at his Mother, "I though he was called George."

Helen pursed her lips, cutting her chicken carefully, "That was the last one."

The table fell into a rather uncomfortable silence before Edmund decided he was quite full and looked across the cramped table to his brother, "So, why did you get us all here? I had to take leave from Uni from this. Don't tell me you've managed to up me and Graduate again?"

"That's not even possible." But Peter couldn't even glare at his brother, for the reason he'd yet to tell made his smile unmoveable. "Lilith?"

The redhead smiled before turning and fishing a ring from her pocket and sliding it on her finger.

Helen Pevensie burst into tears. Lucy was up from her seat and had the newly engaged couple in the same embrace within a second.

"You couldn't have even waited until I got a girlfriend." Edmund gruntled, but smiled at his brother once Lucy freed him nonetheless.

"Don't cry, Mum." Peter spoke, amused but drowning in his love for those around the table, "This is good!"

"Hopefully." Lilith added in a mutter in mock worry as Lucy released her finally, the youngest Pevensie overjoyed by having a new older sister of whom she spent time with more than once or twice a year.

"Of course it is." Frank spoke, standing and meeting his eldest son for an embrace, "Congratulations."

"When will you have the wedding?" Helen asked her future daughter-in-law once she'd dabbed her eyes and embraced the pair, "Oh, my love, this isn't because you're expecting, is it?"

Peter choked on the water he'd just sat down to sip.

"No!" Lilith assured the wide eyed table immediately, "No! The proposal was a surprise to me- For no reason!"

"Well, it wasn't exactly for no reason." Peter reasoned once he'd recovered.

"Obviously, but not because of that!"

"Not yet." Lucy added, eyes mischievous but alight.

"Lucy!"

"Go on then, tell us how he did it!" Helen insisted, "If my son didn't pull out all the stops-"

"He did." Lilith found herself reassuring Helen once more, "Truly, it was lovely."

Edmund raised an eyebrow, "You're telling me Pete was romantic?"

The once Just King dodged a bread roll.

"Peter, you're 20 for Heaven's Sake!" The Pevensie matriarch reprimanded.

"For the record," Lilith spoke up, "I was surprised, too."

"How so?" Peter asked, affronted, having gotten up and retrieved the bread roll like a scolded puppy. "I'm romantic!"

"You buy the same flowers every time!"

"They're your favourite!"

"You should be original." Lucy cut in, earning an appeased smile from Lilith.

"See!"

Edmund scoffed at his brother's scowl, "On second thoughts, I reckon I'll stick to studies over girls."