Chapter 5

The rest of that first week crept by, without many people to talk with. Sure; Renjun had friends from his old school but they were just as busy. Assignment after assignment was piled onto him, and the irony was that there was no homework- it would be the same as school work. Though he will say, hard work was a great distraction from how much of an outsider he was.

"If you don't fit in within the first week, you're never going to," Renjun thought to himself, flying through a maths worksheet. Had he been destined or cursed to win that lottery? Now he was leaning more towards the latter.

Another week, another week.

Renjun made sure this time to check the building before going in: west for physics, period 1, monday. By now the "effects" of that boy softened to him simply appearing at the most random times of day and making Renjun wince at his own pettiness. Well, at least he had some self-awareness. The same still couldn't be said for Donghyuck. That pesky brat.

"You up buttercup?"

"I told you," Renjun sighed, out of energy even though he'd just woken up, "to not call me that."

"Then what would you prefer?"

"My name?"

"Huh. Oh yeah. And what was that again? Renjeon?" Donghyuck adjusted his collar and threw his clothes into the laundry basket. "Something like that."

"Renjun, actually." He shrugged.

"Like I said, something like that." Renjun rolled his eyes at the sink, spitting out the toothpaste with more force than he intended. He side eyed Donghyuck as he got his cleanly pressed shirt from his closet, who blinked as if to say "what do you want now?" What Renjun wanted, was some peace, except not the kind he'd been getting. Also some peace of mind from that damn incident at the staircase and oh- he was thinking about that boy again. Damn.

"See ya later Renjeon!" Donghyuck grinned; of course, he knew.

"That's..." the door closed. "...not my name. For fuck's sake..." Today would be a longer day than usual.

"Class dismissed!" Renjun's history teacher announced, and the class, including Renjun, started to pack up. "Oh! Renjun could you come and see me at lunch? Just here." Oh god, he could only imagine what piece of mind his teacher wanted to give him. "You're not in trouble- just want to talk to you." Translation: he was in trouble.

"Sure, sir."

"Don't forget!"

"I won't, sir," he slightly bowed his head as he left.

By the time he'd left, the next class was already waiting outside. As if coloured in a different hue, Renjun's eyes immediately rested on that boy, talking with his friends and about to go in. He was the last one to leave. And it was now or never to apologise.

"Uh, sorry..." the boy turned to him with a neutral expression. Almost unreadable. That scared Renjun.

"I uh...bumped into you the other day last week and you happened to tell me I was in the wrong building but I didn't believe you because I just didn't so I just wanted to say sorry and I feel like I owe you something now and sorry," it all came out in one breath.

And he held another, as the boy glanced at his friends who shrugged back at him. They'd all gone silent.

"I don't remember. But thanks I guess."

"May I...your name?"

"Lee Jeno. And you?"

"Huang Renjun."