Chapter 3

"Miss Foster, where are you going?" Sandor demanded, stopping her on the way to the leap master.

"Move out of the way!" She told him, trying to slither past his hulking frame

"Only if you'll tell me where you're going"

"I don't have time for this, Elwin said to meet him at the healing center alone. Something's wrong with Keefe, I know it."

"I'm coming with you"Sandor stated, a tone of finality in his voice.

"No you're-Fine.Come on!"

She continued racing past, Sandor following, each footstep a reassuring Thump Thump Thump behind her. Tracking the sound kept her grounded until she reached the leap master and screamed "Foxfire!", and stepping into the awaiting light without hesitation.

Sophie hurled towards the healing center at such a velocity that even Sandor was struggling to keep up. It only took a few minutes to get there, but to Sophie it still felt like too long.

"WHAT HAPPENED" Sophie hollered as she barged into the healing center, barley registering Mr.Frokle and Lord Cassius' presence. They all stared at her, and she thought of what she must look like: Hair tangled from Fitz's hands,clothes rumpled, different shoes on each foot, and now a face that was tomato red from the run."What happened?" Sophie repeated, not caring if she looked like a mess.

"It's good to see you too Miss Foster."Lord Cassius said, his voice oily.

She ignored him."What.Happened."

Elwin stepped into the room, but Mr Forkle explained instead" Keefe has been showing some mental activity, so we would like you to investigate, since you are closest to him."

Sophie nodded."Sure" she assured, trying to keep from jumping up and down with joy.Keefe might be back soon! It was all she could to stop herself from dashing to the adjacent room where Keefe was being kept.Elwin stopped her.

"Before you go in we wanted to warn you...be careful, we have never had this happen to a mind before, so we don't know the consequences."

Nodding her head grimly, Sophie pushed Elwin aside and stepped into the room. What she saw made her heart ache.

Keefe was sprawled on the cot, hair a mess, eyes staring absently at nothing. His fingers twitched and his skin was pale from lack of sun exposure but... It looked like him. A sense of self that she couldn't quite describe had been absent these last few weeks. But now it was back.

She couldn't hold on any longer, so she extended her consciousness towards him and found darkness. Not darkness like the darkness of death, but the darkness of restfulness, the darkness of sleep. And deep down; a light. A tiny glimmer of life-but it was there. And she would follow it with all she had.

Her consciousness sliced through the shadow like a knife through butter. Following...Following...Following. Until she landed in a glade. A little meadow surrounded by trees. A small waterfall trickled into a stream and-

"Hey Foster, you miss me?"