Chapter 8

"Keefe?"Sophie's voice jolted Keefe out of the pit of shadows that had slowly been consuming him,dragging me back down into oblivion."Are you ok? What's wrong?"

Keefe's heart cleaved in two, and He wiped away tears that had somehow started leaking down his face. He had to tell her.Had to. So he turned his head towards her and murmured "Sophie,I love you. I-I've loved you since the day I met you. I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner but... I knew you were dating Fitz. That's why I was so much of a jerk that day. When you broke up I thought we finally had a chance but... apparently not. I'm sorry."

He watched- and felt-as so many different emotions played across her face. Shock, surprise, horror and embarrassment- Mountains of embarrassment. But when her eyes met Keefe's, he couldn't hold on any longer. Slowly, he leaned in,his lips a hairbreadth away from hers, and kissed her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sophie gasped, her eyes widening.No. I'm dating Fitz-I can't do this. She thought, forcing herself to pull away,even when every part of her was screaming that this was right, that together they were whole. At that moment she had been willing to give everything up for him-everything. But she pushed him away. And now she worried that he would never come back again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Keefe turned his head away, blushing bright pink from head to toe. What did I just do? He asked himself, mortified.Why would she ever want a mess like him when Fitz Vacker was the other option."I-I'm sorry" He mumbled, heartbroken."Bye..."

"Bye..." She squeaked, and rushed out of the door.

And for hours after she left, Keefe replayed the moment, knowing it was the closest he would get to her loving him a fraction as much as he loved her. And there- beneath the mess of feelings-he felt desire. Desire so strong it almost blew him off his feet, but it was gone in a second.

He must have imagined it.

Sorry that this chapter was a bit short, there will (hopefully) be another chapter coming out today.