Chapter 4

Sophie whirled around, her heart pounding against her chest.

"Keefe?"She chocked out" Are you okay?"

He smirked," Worried about me, Foster?"

Her tether snapped, and without warning, she lurched forward,squeezing her eyes shut and holding him tightly, as if he might fade into the wind if she let go.

"Yes Keefe" She whispered, still hugging him" More than you can imagine"

His facade crumbled."I know - I'm sorry, but I couldn't bring myself to face all of this."

Keefe gestured around, and the scenery changed into hundreds of swirling memories:
Lady Gisela's smug smirk, Tams face as be sent the bolt of shadowflux that would encase Keefe in shadows, Sophie's expression before the darkness closed in.

Sophie finally stepped back, looking around."It's ok" She said, not willing to let go of his hand that was clenched in her's.

"But" Keefe amended, a hint of a smile returning to his face" I'm ready now"

"Are you sure? There's no shame in waiting. After what you've been through, no one would blame you"

Keene gulped, his throat bobbing. "I'm sure" He forced a grin on his face" Plus, aren't you at least a little bit curious to see what my new ability is? I hope it's something cool like a vanisher, imagine how much trouble I could cause then!"

"Well, if you're sure..." She said, her voice a nervous squeak, as she extender her hand.

He took it."I've said this so many times, Foster, but I'll never get sick of saying it: you're cute when you worry."

Sophie rolled her eyes."Just hold on", and launched then into the awaiting blackness and back into the world.