Chapter One - Gives You Hell

Life was not going how Rebecca Knox expected it would at all.

If someone were to ask her where she would be seven years after high school, she would have had a very different opinion than the reality that had unfolded around her. For one, she would have some semblance of an actual plan instead of floundering around just to survive. Which was the very situation she unfortunately found herself in at the age of twenty five. The brunette huffed and pulled her jacket around her tighter to battle the cold of the late autumn wind as she made her way to yet another interview that she wasn't completely sure of.

Rebecca knew that the popularity and admiration that had kept her afloat during her teenage years wouldn't transfer over to her adult life, but she would be lying if she didn't think it would have some effect on how things would turn out. She had spent so much time cultivating her reputation back then, only to find out that it didn't mean much to anyone after graduation. Unless, of course, one counted the five year reunion of Rebecca's graduating class where she felt like she was riding on top again – even if that had only been for a few hours.

There was a flash of self pity that Rebecca felt for not paying attention more during her classes – or even caring about them past the GPA she needed to stay on the cheerleading squad. If only she had retained some of that knowledge, or had the slightest drive to keep up with her education past high school, she might not be in this mess. As it was though, Rebecca had no trade skills to speak of and no ambition to go to college then or now.

It was possible that Rebecca may have been inclined to continue her schooling if only to follow her love of cheerleading – she had been a damn good captain after all – maybe she could have even turned that passion into something more prestigious like gymnastics or dance, but a bad break in her left leg kept that dream from reaching any fruition whatsoever. Rebecca cursed the reckless nature of her youth as another bout of self pity hit her while she thought about her eighteenth summer and the itchy cast she had to wear for weeks after the break. Not like it did much good in the end. Even after physical therapy, she still felt a phantom twinge right below her left knee more then she would like to admit. So, cheerleading went right out the window with all of her dreams.

Rebecca breathed out another huff of air against the cold wind. This time it was more depressed than indignant, as she accepted that life had happened in way that couldn't be changed. The only option was to keep moving forward and do the best she possibly could against the insurmountable odds that seemed to keep getting higher.

The tall brunette stopped in front of the doors to the Zendex Media building and steeled herself before heading inside. There was a chance that this interview wouldn't work out any better than the last few that she had, but she was running out of options for jobs that didn't require a college degree and weren't rooted in the fast food industry. With a flip of her long, dark hair over one shoulder, Rebecca walked through those glass double doors with purpose. There had been nothing off limits to Becca Knox, cheerleading captain, prom queen and absolute overlord of Branson High. All Rebecca needed to do was channel that energy into a more positive manner without letting her inner bitch out to play and this job was as good as hers.

Admittedly, Rebecca did feel a little better about this interview than the last ones she had. It was for a personal assistant position to one of the higher up executives here at Zendex Media – an up and coming advertising company. The job was nothing more than a glorified secretary in Rebecca's opinion, but she knew the skill set wasn't extensive and everything they asked for she had in spades. The brunette had passed her phone interview with flying colors, assuring the company's representative that she had everything that they were looking for.

Excellent time management and organizational skills – from years of putting together infallible pranks and evil schemes. Natural drive and leadership – from bossing around her squad during hours of backbreaking practice. An aptitude for handling high stress situations – mostly from the societal pressures she had faced from a young age. Even the ability to type over a hundred words a minute – because slinging hurtful comments around online had to be done in a quick and timely manner to fit into her tight schedule. Of course, her interviewer didn't need to know the root of her particular skill set, just that she had what the potential employer was looking for. In the end, it was enough to snag an in person interview.